Lady Needs help to hook up battery maintainer on Yardworks Lawn Tractor

Old 11-05-07, 11:03 AM
Lady Needs help to hook up battery maintainer on Yardworks Lawn Tractor

hi everyone

hope my title isn't too long, I tried to make it as expressive as possible.

I have a YardWorks lawn tractor for which I bought a new battery this past spring to replace the original one.

I need to make sure this one survives, so I bought a 1.5a MotoMaster Trickle Battery Charger maintainer, which, I was assured is Automatic.

It came with a bunch of attachments, and the instructions aren't clear about what goes where. ok I will admit it: I'm mechanically inept, but don't want to do it wrong.

I searched the net for info: precious little out there.

is my yardworks tractor a 6V or 12V (just to give you some idea of my ineptitude LOL).

any help anyone can give will be greatly appreciated, and yes, the battery is safely inside the house.

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-07, 12:08 PM
the house is not a good place to store a battery. if you can store it in the garage or shed, away from combustables, and never on concrete. place the battery on wood, attach the clamps to the baterry red possitive (+) black (-) negative and then plug in and forget. battery should be in a place that has enough ventalation.

Old 11-05-07, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by jarhead View Post
the house is not a good place to store a battery.
thanks for your reply jarhead, but it would freeze in the garage which isn't heated.

Old 11-05-07, 05:39 PM
No, a charged battery will not freeze. You bought a Motomaster charger, so I have to think It's from Canadian Tire correct?? As suggested, keep the battery in a garage away from pilot lights & any open flame & do not set it on concrete.Battries release Hydrogen gas & you really don't need that in the house. A charged battery will not freeze 'till -60* (correct me if i'm wrong) & a good battery will only need a charge monthly. Just pick a warmer day to do it 'cus a cold battery doesen't charge well. Make sure the water is full (if you can) & it should last many years!! Roger

Old 11-05-07, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by hopkinsr2 View Post
A charged battery will not freeze 'till -60* (correct me if i'm wrong)
Yep, pretty much. -77F, -60, somewhere in that ballpack. And at 75% charge will freeze at around -35F and rapidly increases beyond that. Just make sure it stays charged. The GFCI in my garage likes to nuisance trip once in a while, which would leave me with a discharged battery if I didn't check it for several months.

The whole battery-on-concrete thing no longer applies to modern batteries of normal size. The cases are no longer made of porous materials so the concrete doesn't suck the juice out of them. With that said, if you have a VERY LARGE battery (industrial, etc) you don't want to store it on a cold concrete floor because the temperature difference will cause electrolyte stratification. But nothing that a few good kicks or some violent shaking won't cure.

Agreed that the house is not the best place to be charging a battery because of the generated hydrogen. However a fully automatic charger which only kicks on every couple of weeks for minutes at a time is not going to cause much outgassing at all. If you had a good reason for keeping it in the house and the area was ventilated I'd do it anyway. But not wanting the battery to freeze is not a good reason. I keep 6 moderately sized deep cycles in my living room and charge them weekly. And I smoke. Guess you could say I like to live on the wild side. Hehe but really, this old house is quite well "ventilated"... good for battery charging, not good for my gas bill.

-core

Old 11-06-07, 07:05 AM
And since no one else mentioned it, your battery is a 12 volt.

Old 11-06-07, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by bontai Joe View Post
And since no one else mentioned it, your battery is a 12 volt.
ahhh ty Joe ..............

Old 11-06-07, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by core View Post
Hehe but really, this old house is quite well "ventilated"... good for battery charging, not good for my gas bill.
[QUOTE=core;1254109] Hehe but really, this old house is quite well "ventilated"... good for battery charging, not good for my gas bill. /QUOTE]

hi core, thank you for your reply.

I have a good reason for keeping it in the house: I'm a disabled senior: I go out as little as possible in the icy/cold, so I keep the battery in the basement on a wooden workbench. The basement is very well ventilated (my house is over 100 years old, so it's like a sieve when the wind blows).

Old 11-06-07, 08:09 AM
thanks to everyone who is replying, it's MUCH appreciated.

basically what I have is the "maintainer" which came in a box with some separate parts:

2 clamps (-one red/one black). They are hooked together into a 'hub', which I'm sure must hook into something.

two wires (-one red/oneblack). They are also attached to a 'hub' of sorts. At the ends of either of these wires is a round connector, and I'm assuming here that the 2 round connectors are attached to the battery posts, correct?

not sure where the ends of either of these clamps or wires are attached though.

anyway gentlemen keep the cards and letters coming and I will keep searching.

thanks again

Old 11-06-07, 08:17 AM
found the page

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...romSearch=true

that's the product page for the maintainer.

Old 11-06-07, 05:13 PM
Sheesh, they sure did make the connectors "complicated" for such a small inexpensive charger.

I'm unable to locate a pdf with instructions, and all the photos I've found are too small to show much detail.

In short, all you need is a black wire connected to the neg(-) post on the battery and the corresponding red wire to the pos(+) post. Yes I realize there are at least two sets from what I see here. Use whatever set fit your battery. For example to use the round connectors you must have wing nuts on your battery which fasten them down. Or you can just use the clamps, it does not matter.

As for the set which you are not using, is there a way to disconnect it from the "hub"? I would think there would have to be. If for some reason you cannot disconnect it then you need to make sure the other two wires to not touch each other, that's all.

Sorry this explanation is so vague -- like I said I don't have the instructions or even a good photo of the connectors in front of me. I've also never had a charger with such an assortment of "attachments" as you put it -- and I have a LOT of chargers! If someone else doesn't come up with firsthand info on this charger you could as a last resort type up the portions of the instructions that you don't understand.

Old 11-07-07, 10:59 AM
Talking

good afternoon core.

I didn't realize until your posting that the two sets of connectors to the battery are options: whichever fits the battery posts! Yes, by gosh I think I've got it now.

I'll give it a whirl. and thanks again for all your advice/comments thanks everyone

'mom'

Old 11-10-07, 08:08 AM
This might help other folks:

here is a link to a page showing the EXACT same "maintainer", complete with all parts:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/mikeand.janine/batt/batt.htm

fyi : battery is now hooked up, cells have been replenished with distilled water and it is charging. YAY

again, thanks for all the help.