Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Hydro Transmissions

OK

11-06-07, 04:22 AM   #1  
Hydro Transmissions

Occurs to me that the experienced hands in this forum have most probably worked on rider transmissions. I've worked on lots of engines but have been intimidated by transmissions. Until I came by a junk manual one and removed the top half of the case. Found a repair manual on internet for the Tecumseh/Peerless xmissions, and saw how simple they were.
I'm repairing(restoring) a Sears 42", 19.5 hp Briggs twin for a friend, one of the problems is the Hydro-Gear 150071 (319-0650) doesn't move when lever is moved, either direction.
Have found repair manuals for other hydro's , but not this one.
I've removed vent, turned upside down to drain, and refilled with recommended amount of recommended oil.
My question is: When you split the case, do parts fall out all over the place, or, do they remain intact ??
Any advice from anyone who's had one of these apart will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-06-07, 06:38 PM   #2  
Stuff doesn't fall out. The main concern with hydros is keeping them clean. VERY clean. I prefer to pressure wash them before opening them, and then do so with clean hands on a clean work area.

Are you sure the bypass valve is moving (not stuck, keeping it in "freewheel mode") and both axles keys are in the wheels?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

OK

11-06-07, 06:56 PM   #3  
Removing hydro from unit, removing vent fitting, tipping up to drain, refilling with proper amount of recommended oil, then going thru air purge process took care of problem.
Now very responsive to speed/direction lever.
I just have a fear of whatever I'm doing for the first time is to loose parts and not know where they go.
Thanks,

Ditto !

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-06-07, 11:59 PM   #4  
Great! Glad you got it going. I know the fear of parts falling out of places unknown, lol.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread