Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

briggs and stratton oil leak.

AK

11-08-07, 07:32 PM   #1  
briggs and stratton oil leak.

I have a opposed 18.5 hp twin engine. This engine had a few bad gaskets that were leaking oil a couple weeks ago. So i disassembled it and replaced them, the gaskets don't leak anymore but now after reassembly it has a slow steady leak from the crankshaft. At first i figured something went wrong with the crankshaft bearing and would need replaced, But after I looked at some parts diagrams and such I noticed there is an oil seal Around the crankshaft somewhere too. Is the oil seal on the outside bottom around the crankshaft? And if it is how do you install them. I found where i can buy the seal for about 5 bucks. I'm just not sure whether its internal or external or needs to be installed a special way.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-08-07, 08:06 PM   #2  
It is removed and replaced from the underside of the engine. Most likely, the lip got damaged or the seal spring popped out during re-assembly.

To replace it, carefully pick it out, or use a seal puller to get it out. DO NOT scratch the crankshaft or engine surface where the seal makes contact, or it will forever leak. You'll need to remove the engine pulley to access the seal.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

AK

11-09-07, 11:48 AM   #3  
Ok i figured it was something along those lines. Should the seal be flush with the bottom of the oil pan? It doesn't really look like it has a seal in the first place but im not sure.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-09-07, 09:53 PM   #4  
It has a seal.

I usually install mine close to the original position of the original seal. On some engines, they're recessed a bit, on others, they're about flush. The main thing is to be sure it's not crooked or damaged by improper installation.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

AK

11-11-07, 03:03 PM   #5  
Could someone maybe post a pic of an engine with the seal installed and one not installed. That would help me greatly.

NY

11-12-07, 04:17 AM   #6  
I doubt that anyone will have such pics. Just use your good judgement upon installation based on the depth of the machined sump pan (where the seal resides). You will want the seal at least flush with the sump but not necessarily inserted fully into the cavity where it is pressed in. Briggs doesn't have seal drivers but Tecumseh does and, generally, Tecumseh will have one that works on Briggs engines. A driver will ensure that the seal is driven in squarely which is the most important part of seal installation.

Search this Thread