Fuel Spit Back System (Kohler CV730-0029)

Old 11-09-07, 05:52 AM
Fuel Spit Back System (Kohler CV730-0029)

I have a 2004 Craftsmen garden tractor with a 25hp Kohler.

I was doing my normal maintenence, (Oil, oil filter, clean Air Filter, etc.). As I have done many times, I take the air cleaner cover off, clean up the dry and foam filters, (or replace), reassemble and I'm back in business.

When I took the air filter off, a silver round ball bearing fell out onto the ground. The size is bigger than a bb and smaller than a marble. The size is right there in the middle of the two, (if that makes any sense).

I finally found out that the bearing is supposed to be part of the fuel spit back system inside the air cleaner assembly. This system is in place to catch any fuel that can come back out of the carburetor saturating the air cleaner.

But my question is: where exactly does this bearing physically reside in this fuel spit back system? In all my research I can find no diagram that shows this bearing.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-07, 06:52 AM
Have you downloaded the service manual for this model from Kohler's website?

Old 11-09-07, 06:57 PM
Service Manual

Originally Posted by GlenM View Post
Have you downloaded the service manual for this model from Kohler's website?
Yes I have. Perhaps I am looking in the wrong place but did not see mention or picture of the ball bearing I am inquiring about, anywhere.

Old 11-09-07, 10:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
On the fuel spitback cup, there is what looks like a bit of a tube for a hose to connect to or something like that. This is where the bearing goes. It is supposed to be stuck in the end of this tube, sealing the end off.

Old 11-17-07, 08:42 AM
Originally Posted by cheese View Post
On the fuel spitback cup, there is what looks like a bit of a tube for a hose to connect to or something like that. This is where the bearing goes. It is supposed to be stuck in the end of this tube, sealing the end off.
Thanks very much for the info. I think I understand now where it goes.

On the advise of a guy at Kohler, I ordered the new spit back cup, (part # 24 109 29-S) you helped me out with; and it doesn't even have that little tube that looks like a hose would connect to it, (where you said the bearing goes to plug it).

I'm assuming now that the new spit back cup is designed so that bearing is not necessary anymore.

I sent an email to the Kohler guy to confirm that is the case and am just waiting to hear back. I would certainly welcome your opinion on this, (before I replace the part).

Thanks again for your help.