Too much gas stabilizer

Old 11-10-07, 06:39 AM
Too much gas stabilizer

I think I put too much stabilizer in my craftsman tractor. Or too much oil in the cylinder. I winterized it and tried to move it and wouldn't start and backfired a lot. I drained some gas, not all, put some new gas in. Even starting fluid won't help. Is this logical? I get nothing. Even so, shouldn't starting fluid cause at least a caugh?
The pull start log splitter started easily with same conditions. well, actually no stabilizer.
Thanks,

Lance

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-07, 11:36 AM
The failure to attempt to start using starter fluid would indicate that you have a no/weak spark issue and the backfiring would support my diagnosis. Replace the spark plug(s) and see how it goes.

Old 11-18-07, 04:45 PM
New plug, w/ starting fluid and still nothing. Very odd. I washed it down too but, the backfiring ocurred b4 the wash. Any insight?????

Lance

Old 11-19-07, 12:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Check for spark at the plug and post the results.

Old 11-19-07, 02:28 PM
You're right, no spark. The only electrical I played with was the plug going to the bottom of the carb bowl. I'm not sure what this is for. But, I drained the bowl by unscrewing this thing and gas got in it.

Now what?

Thanks,

Lance

Old 11-19-07, 09:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Might be best to post the model# of your engine so we know what you've got. It will make it easier to give you advice specific to your needs.

Old 11-20-07, 03:20 PM

Only 100 hours. I really don't know what the hell I did!

Old 04-02-08, 03:54 PM
No spark - please help!

dyt 4000 craftsman. It is now spring and I have the same situation. Can anyone tell me what the plug going into the bottom of the float bowl is for? This is the only part that I can believe that I fowled up - perhaps by hooking it back up incorrectly. Would this lead to no spark?

Thanks,

Lance

Old 04-02-08, 04:04 PM
If the bowl nut looks like the picture below it is the main fuel jet and needs to be very clean including the little hole about 1/2 way up. Have a good one. Geo
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...c_bowl_nut.jpg

Old 04-02-08, 04:10 PM
I am referring to the electrical plug going into the bottom of the float bowl. I am very fustrated.

Thanks

Old 04-02-08, 10:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That plug has nothing to do with spark. Did you replace the spark plug like Puey61 suggested?

Old 04-03-08, 04:41 AM
New plug shows no spark.

Old 04-03-08, 06:21 AM
The model number you posted is not the engine model number as Cheese asked for, that is the chassis number. I took the time to get your engine numbers through the back door based on your chassis number and you have a single cylinder, OHV Briggs Intek engine. You need to isolate the ignition system from the safety system and determine if you have a chassis wiring problem or a engine ignition problem. Locate the single black wire (kill wire) coming from under the flywheel shroud and disconnect any wire(s) attached to such and then check for spark at the spark plug. If spark, you have a safety system issue. If no spark still then you will need to remove the flywheel shroud and remove the kill wire AT the ignition coil and again check for spark at the plug. If spark then you have a faulty kill wire. If no spark still AND you have proper airgap between the coil and magnets on the flywheel (.010") then you need to replace the coil, Briggs part number 492341.

Old 04-03-08, 09:39 AM
Thanks!

Bingo! I have two older craftsman tractors also so, I was able to swap a coil out to determine w/o doubt.

Much obliged for your help. Not only the repair dollars saved of course but, more importantly, the satisfaction of fixing it myself. I have many small engine peices of equipment around here, in addition to several vehicles and I have determined that 90% of the battle with any problem is understanding the the elimination process. Love this site.

Thanks again,

Lance

Old 04-03-08, 11:43 AM
Awesome, glad you got it and thanks for updating us on your progress. Just remember in the future, post with both engine and chassis ID numbers.