Weedeater blower dies when hot

Old 11-11-07, 06:48 PM
Weedeater blower dies when hot

My Weedeater blower (model FL1500i) starting cutting out a few weeks ago like it was starving for fuel. It would sputter and then run alright for awhile and then sputter and then run alright again. It finally died after doing that a week later after I had used it for about 15 minutes. It looked like sparks flew out of the muffler or the coil or somewhere right when it died. It wouldn't start until it cooled down. The plug looked good, but I went ahead and replaced it and it started right up. It died again when it got hot. After it cooled down, it started again and ran about 5 minutes before it died. There is a blue spark when I ground the plug, but doesn't look really fat, but I wasn't sure if it should or not. Any ideas? Coil? Carb? I did try to re-start it with the gas cap loose to see if that helped. It didn't.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-07, 07:25 PM
I've got one of these. Vibrates so much have had to take it apart twice to put nut under shroud back on that holds the handle on.
Your initial symptom sounds like there might be moisture in fuel. might dump gas, put in new mix and prime about 10 times.
also, is air filter good and clean?
thanks,

Old 11-11-07, 07:33 PM
The air filter is fairly clean. Fresh gas won't hurt.

Old 11-12-07, 04:13 AM
At what point, exactly, did you check the spark? IMMEDIATELY after it stalls out? Bear in mind that you can (but I never would) purchase this blower new for $60-70 and, generally, is not worth even diagnosing. If it turns out to be an ignition issue (and I'll bet it is) then the cost to repair it will likely outpace the cost to replace it. I'd look at more durable machines if I were you.

Old 11-12-07, 08:22 AM
I did not check the spark immediately after it died, but I couldn't get it to start about 15 minutes later and there was still a small blue spark. If I can get it restarted, I'll check it right after. This thing was a gift and and has made it two to three years. The coil looks to be about $30. If that is all it is, I thought I might get another year or so out of it as I hate to live in such a disposable world. If I am still getting a small blue spark after it dies, should I really be getting a big fat blue one? It looks weak to me, but I am used to seeing the spark on larger 2 and 4 stroke motorcycle engines.

Originally Posted by puey61 View Post
At what point, exactly, did you check the spark? IMMEDIATELY after it stalls out? Bear in mind that you can (but I never would) purchase this blower new for $60-70 and, generally, is not worth even diagnosing. If it turns out to be an ignition issue (and I'll bet it is) then the cost to repair it will likely outpace the cost to replace it. I'd look at more durable machines if I were you.

Old 11-12-07, 09:22 AM
It could be an air leak that develops as the engine warms up and things start to expand. The next time it starts to sputter, before it shuts down, spray some carb cleaner along the mating surfaces, behind the carb and along the crankcase and the base of the cylinder to see if there is an rpm change which would indicate a leak. Have a good one. Geo

Old 11-13-07, 02:26 AM
The spark size will be relative to the spark plug gap but the imprortant part is if you have a nice, deep blue spark at the gap, not white or orange.

Search this Thread