Where is the oil comming from?

Old 11-12-07, 06:48 AM
Where is the oil comming from?

Help!
I am not the best small engine mech, but can usually fix things. I have a Briggs & Stratton Quantum 120000 model series (verticle) gas engine--- pressure washer. Itīs about a year old, oil changes frequently, runs well, does not smoke, but I am now getting squirting or leaaking oil from somewhere! I have taken off all the shrouds, and can not find where it is comming from. I took off the head just to check carbon build up, (not bad) piston & cylinder good & tight, cleaned, new head gasket, tightened all bolts everywhere! After about 30 min. of running, oil appears again. The leak seems to be to be topside somewhat. More on one side than the other. behind the mufler is a plate that when removed exposes the valve springs. This compartment has a tube that runs to the air filter case. I suspect this area as there seems to be more oil around here than anywhere else. This plate also has a diaphram in the form of a small circle. (I think its the breather?) The diaphram does move( in a clicking action) could this be the problem? where else do I look? Any help would be very much appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-07, 07:40 AM
One other possibility is the, what Briggs calls, cylinder baffle, up under the flywheel. An oblong piece with a gasket and 4 screws.
thanks,

Old 11-13-07, 05:54 AM
Cylinder baffle? breather?

Thanks GlenM
Was I right about the breather and it being a possible problem? Seems cheap to replace. also, I see an oblong plate under the flywheel with 2 screws. I think this is what you are talking about. I remember tightening the screws. Can this baffle be removed / replaced without removing the flywheel? Would the gasket be the problem or is there another piece inside that I need to replace?
Thank you

Old 11-13-07, 12:21 PM
The breather could certainly be the problem, lot's of oil splashing around behind it, if breather 'clicking', it's working.
Starting from top down, the oil seal at top of crank could leak, have never seen one leak, but, it is an oil seal.
both the baffle plate and breather gaskets would be candidates for leakage.
I would suggest removing fly wheel, puller is less than $7, well worth it.
Enter model and type at following site,
https://www.briggsandstratton.com/ma...nav3&subMenu=3
and you can download the Illustrated Parts list for your model.
Hope this helps,
Thanks,

Old 11-17-07, 03:45 AM
Smile Fixed!!--Thank you

Thanks so much Glen.
turned out to be the oil seal of all things, and I found one here in Costa Rica!! Wow.
Thank you again for such great help and God Bless!!