Toro 726 Auger Problems

Old 11-13-07, 05:59 PM
Toro 726 Auger Problems

I have an old Toro 726 snow thrower. The engine starts and runs great, but when I try to engage the auger, the engine stalls. Can someone please tell me whats wrong? Is there something that needs lubrication or replacing? Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-07, 03:51 AM
I can't tell you what is wrong without seeing it for myself. But, check the belt and idler pulley for issues (jumped belt, seized idler pulley bearing, etc.). With the engine safely not running, reach in to the second stage (impeller fan) and see if you can turn this by hand (there may be a related braking mechanism that needs to be partially disengaged) looking/feeling for any potential problem with the impeller bearing. Auger gearbox issues are another potential problem.

Old 11-14-07, 06:44 AM
Does anyone know where i can purchase a manual or repair book for this?

Old 11-14-07, 07:18 AM
www.toro.com, click on homeowner and go to the manuals link. Should be about $6

Something to try in meantime. Remove belt cover so you can see belts from behind machine. Start engine, and SLOWLY squeeze lever or SLOWLY push lever forward if that is your model until you see auger belt turning. If it turns freely with slight pressure and engine does not die, it could be a simple lever/rod adjustment or someone has installed the wrong belt (too short).

Old 11-15-07, 06:50 AM
I don't know the product number for my Toro 726 and I cant find the 726 on their website. Does anyone know what the product number is? Thank you

Originally Posted by smallengineguy View Post
www.toro.com, click on homeowner and go to the manuals link. Should be about $6

Something to try in meantime. Remove belt cover so you can see belts from behind machine. Start engine, and SLOWLY squeeze lever or SLOWLY push lever forward if that is your model until you see auger belt turning. If it turns freely with slight pressure and engine does not die, it could be a simple lever/rod adjustment or someone has installed the wrong belt (too short).

Old 11-15-07, 09:29 AM
I've had good luck by finding an 800 support number on manufacturers website and calling them.
thanks,

Old 11-15-07, 11:42 AM
You will need to use the parts lookup utility on the Toro site and will need to locate and use the model and serial numbers off the tag from the chassis. The tag should be just below and to the left of where the engine mounts to the chassis.