Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftman Snowblower leaking gasoline

VT

11-13-07, 06:26 PM   #1  
Craftman Snowblower leaking gasoline

Hello,

Just inherited an old Craftman 32in 10HP Snowblower. It was left outside for 6 years without running or maintenance.

I presume the engine is Tecumseh. I have yet to take it apart and find a model number for the engine. I proceeded with a tune-up (plugs, oil, inspection and cleaned the carburetor)

It now leaks gasoline out of a small breather hole on the face of the carb. It is worst if I prime it. I took it apart again and everything seems to be right. Could the seat of the needle pin be damaged and causing so much leakage (the tank empties overnight)

Also, is there some lubrification required for gears enclosed under the engine? Bolts of the skid plate are quite rusty and would prefer not to open this section at this point unless critical lubrication is required.

Belts seem OK, differential was cleaned and filled with SAE 90. Engine was started and ran good. But you should have seen the color of the oil after running for 10 minutes...

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-13-07, 06:56 PM   #2  
I don't know much of anything about snowblowers, so I can't advise about the unit itself...but I can help with the engine. I'd say that the needle and seat in the carb needs to be replaced. Also, remove the float and shake it near your ear. Do you hear gas sloshing in it? If so, it is bad and should be replaced too.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NY

11-14-07, 03:47 AM   #3  
Since it's been outside for so long I'll bet the drive train is well rusted and, if I were you, you should remove the drive train pan and inspect everything. I'll bet you'll need to clean alot of rust from the shafts and particularly the hex, shifter shaft. Differential? You didn't provide any model numbers (engine or chassis) but the AUGER gearbox will likely contain grease, not oil and you shouldn't have to worry about this, if so. Post back with all ID numbers. Cville as in Constable?

MA

11-14-07, 07:22 AM   #4  
diddo on the hex shaft as well as chain and gears. If it was outside for 6 years you most likely have a large mouse nest to clean out from under there as well. Open it up and take a look.

VT

11-14-07, 09:27 AM   #5  
Engine Number

Thanks for the prompt replies. I've discovered some gasoline in the float. When I took it apart the first time, I cleaned it and checked it under water to see if there was any leakage. I guess gasoline is of lesser density. Only a little liquid was enough to prevent the float from lifting enough.

Also, I took the pan out. I see 2 grease holes (one on each shaft.) Surprisingly, everything is clean underneath except for the rusty pan. Like I said, the engine rev nicely when I started it but I only ran it for 10 minutes or so to flush the engine with new oil and engine treatment. Hopefully the rings on the piston won't grip after running it for longer.

The only part numbers I find is on the starter rope cover and on the frame of the unit itself.
Engine: 143736142 Ser 3299D
Frame: C950 52379

I would appreciate a manual or part numbers for the carb as I will need a kit or at the very least a float.

thks very much,

Vic

Cville is short for Cowansville Quebec

NY

11-14-07, 07:14 PM   #6  
I can easily give you the part numbers you need but I'd rather give you a link to look up any parts you should have (carb kit, float, bowl, carb to manifold gasket and manifold to engine gasket) for the engine. Here it is:
http://landscapepower.com/tecumseh_partslists.html

VT

11-15-07, 10:20 AM   #7  
Proble solved

Thank you all for your help.

Changed the float and that did it. Engine and everything else run great. Incredible after being exposed to the elements without running for 6 yrs, all it required was a float, oil change, lubrication and carb cleaning. One point for human engineering.

Have a good day,

Vic

NY

11-15-07, 11:39 AM   #8  
Good news and thanks for the update. Happy winter!

Search this Thread