Snapper RER BS engine start/stops?

Old 11-15-07, 04:18 PM
Snapper RER BS engine start/stops?

OK i'm at a loss. I own a snapper rear engine rider model 2811x5s with a briggs 11hp model 253707 engine. I cleaned the carb and a few other things to get this mower working. It ran fine for a hour and now will only run for a few minutes before it shuts down. There was quite a bit of sediment in the carb bowl prior to the cleaning i gave it, i also flushed the gas tank and cleaned the fuel lines/filters again . Still it seems like it will only run a few minutes and then it shuts down. Any suggestions ?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-07, 06:30 PM
Did you possibly not open the vent on top of the fuel cap, I have forgotten that and my Snapper shut off. Have a good one. Geo

Old 11-15-07, 07:23 PM
Chked that fuel cap twice. i was wondering if there are any diaphragms anywhere on this carb? It runs and then dies almost like its running out of gas yet gas is available. I can restart it but the nextime i do its tougher to start and then runs. for an even shorter period till it sputters out.

Old 11-15-07, 07:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Drop the bowl again and check for water or more junk, and check fuel flow into the bowl.

Old 11-16-07, 02:05 AM
No, there is no diaphragm related to the carburetor. I'm unsure, though, if this machine has a fuel pump which, if so, would have a diaphragm. You mentioned, not, about replacing the fuel filter - only that you cleaned it - and you NEED to replace it and with a good quality filter, not a screen type filter.

Old 11-16-07, 04:01 AM
I'm thinking this engine is 20 +- yrs old, first two digits of code is yr it was assembled.
Has ever in the life of this engine the:
1-shrouds been removed and engine blown free of dirt/chaff, mouse nests, mud daubers, etc. ??
2-fuel lines been replaced ??
3-carb been thoroughly cleaned/rebuilt ??

The symptom you describe, include, but not limited to;
coil could be beginning to fail, or,
candidate for head removal, clean off carbon deposits at top of combustion chamber and valves, insure valve tappet clearances are correct.
Lastly, what is condition of spark plug? old, new, wet, dry, deposits, color, etc.
most definitely, a new paper fuel filter should be used.
thanks,

Old 11-16-07, 06:55 AM
thks all for the replies, i will list what i have done already.
1-shrouds were removed and engine blown free of dirt/chaff. 2-fuel lines replaced/cleaned out the fuel tank.
3-carb been thoroughly cleaned ? there was lot of dirt inside the bowl and jets. i cleaned it 3 times already and think its good
4.head removal, cleaned off carbon deposits at top of combustion chamber.
5.cleaned spark plug -had normal deposits on it.
6. cleaned all electrical terminals/contacts.

i'll let you know what else i discover , i'll ck the fuel filters/carb again. Where's the coil on this machine? I thought it was acting like some component might be overheating or grounding out originally, but could not find anything.

I downloaded what i looks to be the carb diagram from B&S
https://briggsandstratton.com/pdf/il...100/MS8177.pdf --- it looks like there are no pumps or diaphragms

Old 11-17-07, 04:58 AM
The coil is what the spark plug wire is attached to. Briggs calls them 'Magneto Armature', reference page 8, upper left hand corner of file you downloaded.
It sits next to flywheel, each leg being .010 (air gap) from flywheel.
Coils are obtuse to diagnose, e.g., you can see spark from plug if removed and grounded to engine while turning engine, but, will not fire plug, installed, when under compression.
And, will work fine for a while after cold start, but will fail when engine gets to operating tempature.
You didn't mention if you had checked the valve tappets clearances. (between the end of the valve stem and the tappet). yours is .005-.007 intake, .009-.011 exhaust.
hope this helps,
thanks,

Old 11-17-07, 06:09 AM
Pull the carburetor bowl again and see what you find. I'll bet you find more sediment. Replace the fuel filter.

Old 11-19-07, 01:30 PM
Smile Its fixed and runs just fine thanks all

Heres what i found. I recleaned and flushed the the fuel tank and carburetor. Very little dirt but there was some. Then i regapped the Magneto / coil. I think that was the real problem, because it started and ran very smoothly after i did that. Overall a combo of things needed to be checked to get the old tractor running again. Thanks again. Now i have another Snapper RER to troubleshoot for a friend.

Old 11-20-07, 02:13 AM
It's very odd for the coil airgap to change, ever, unless someone physically changed it but, nonetheless, I'm glad you got it running well and good luck on the next machine.