Swap an engine

Old 11-18-07, 05:57 AM
Swap an engine

Hey all,

I have a White LT1650 which has been giving me some problems. I need to replace the starter, and the carb I think is acting up as well.

Thing is I got this tractor for free when my father purchased a zero turn mower. It replaced my statesmen (made by MTD as well). It appears this is almost the identical tractor to the white (same frame), except it has a better engine (20 hp vs the 16.5 on the white). Since I use it for snowblowin I have noticed the lack of horsepower.

The benefit to the White is it has a hydrostatic which made snowblowing much much easier.

I guess given the work I need to do on the white tractor, I am wondering what amount of work is required to swap motors on these.

They are both B&S motors.

The White is Model 42a700 type 2238
The statesman is 407777 type 0124

Any thoughts would be appreciated..

Thanks,
Tim

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-07, 07:01 AM
Whoops.. I mean 42a707..

-Tim

Old 11-18-07, 07:01 AM
The 42A is an 'L' head opposed twin and the 407 is an OHV twin ??
The mounting bolt dimensions are probably the same, the PTO end of the crank are possibly the same, i.e., 3 5/32 with slotted keyway, and maybe the alternator output is the same. but, I'm thinking this is where the similarities end.
The 407 might have a fuel shutoff solenoid whereas 42A won't. The 407 may not fit on the white due to shroud dimensions, For sure the muffler arrangement could be a show stopper,
jus some ideas.....

Old 11-18-07, 07:07 AM
Didnt think of the shroud, but given I have the shroud from my old tractor I could just make my tractor a true mutt and swap the shrouds. I would think the muffler shouldnt be an issue since they are identical (and I mean identical) frames..

Old 11-18-07, 07:20 AM
Well, sounds like you're over half-way there. I was talking about engine shrouds, not mower shroud (hood). but if frames are identical, placement of battery, gas tank, etc. hhmmm, might work. need to check on alt o/p, and fuel solenoid shut off and, oh, the ignition key switch arrangement as well. quite possibly they have different ignition switch keys
thanks,

Old 11-18-07, 07:34 AM
the only major difference I can see is the placement of the starter... One is on the right, and the other on the left.... I suppose it could be a problem if the wire couldnt reach but that would be an easy solution (famous last words).

Fuel tank, key, choke etc etc etc are all identical. To be honest it has been nice having a spare tractor...

I was more worried about the pulleys for the transmissions and if there would be a problem with that since one is a manual and other a hydro.

If they didnt make getting the starter off such a pia (requires removal of flywheel) I wouldnt be considering (plus the extra hp would be nice)

Old 11-18-07, 10:36 AM
You're right, you can make a new cabe to reach starter.
Manual or hydro, you still got the one drive belt from engine to transaxle pulley.
Do both engines have the stack pulley, one for drive, one for deck ?? interchangeable ?? if PTO is 3 5/32", etc.
Two challenges,at least, I see left: 1- the pulleys for the manual and the hydro are different size, requiring different drive belt (would be too lucky to just swap belts as well) which brings to mind, 2- the orientation of the crank PTO as it relates to the mounting bolt pattern on the sump, might be different between the 407 and the 42A.
I've replaced starters on the opposed twins w/o removing flywheel, it's real tedious reaching in with the 1/2 wrench.
jus some more ideas,

Search this Thread