Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Walbro carb problem

11-20-07, 06:10 AM   #1  
Walbro carb problem

Hi everyone. Someone gave me a Craftsman Lt4000 riding mower that is in pretty good shape but they said "it doesn't run". That is all the info I got. I replaced the battery and I can get it to start and keep running as long as I keep spraying starting fluid. So, I believe it is a fuel problem. I took the Walbro carb off and blew air through it but that didn't fix the problem. I have since sprayed carb cleaner all in it and let it soak. That is where I am at now.

It looks like you really can't take the thing apart. There is a brass bowl on the bottem with an electronic part that has a needle on it that goes back and forth. I believe that is a fuel body pump? What exactly does it do? How do you test it?

Any other suggestions or links to this carb and the maintenance of it?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

KY

11-20-07, 07:02 AM   #2  
That is the fuel shutoff solenoid, and when your key is turned
on, 12v goes to it, the needle retracts, and fuel is allowed to go through the carb jets. When you turn the key to on, you should be able to hear it click, if not, check it for voltage.

11-20-07, 08:21 AM   #3  
Thanks. Is there any place that has a diagram of the carb? I searched the net and couldn't find one.

Any suggestions on "cleaning" the carb? It looks to be unserviceable.

OK

11-20-07, 08:52 AM   #4  
There's tons of info around, but, need either mower model, 917.nnnnnn, or make, model, type, code, spec, etc. of engine.
thanks,

11-20-07, 09:08 AM   #5  
Well here is what I have on me (at work)

Sears Craftsman LT4000 riding lawnmower with a 15 hp Briggs and Stratton motor, Walbro carb with 5 4993 stamped on it.

I dont even know how old the thing is? Any ideas?

OK

11-20-07, 10:26 AM   #6  
Briggs engines are identified by model, type, and code, which will be stamped/embossed on the engine shroud, or maybe on the valve cover if it's OHV. The first 2 digits of code tells the yr the engine was assembled which will indicate pretty much how old your mower is.
With model, type, go here to download Illustrated Parts List:
https://www.briggsandstratton.com/ma...nav3&subMenu=3
With model only, go here for Owners Manual:
https://www.briggsandstratton.com/ma...nav3&subMenu=3
hope this helps,
we all can better help you if we know this stuff,
as well as mower num, 917.nnnnnn

11-20-07, 05:28 PM   #7  
Thanks! I got it running. That fuel shut off solenoid was fine. I took the bowel off and it had a ton of gunk in there. I cleaned it out and it runs!

Now, I need a muffler. There is not one on it. It just has the exh pipe and at the end of it, it is flanged. There is no pipe threads or anything? Anyone have any ideas on that? I will make another post on this.

Search this Thread