Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Have to choke engine when warm

11-21-07, 07:17 PM   #1  
Have to choke engine when warm

I have a 20 hp honda on a powerwasher and I have to choke it every time I start it nomatter if it has ran for 1 min. or 10 hours.I know several other owners with 20/24 hp honda's and have the same problem.Did honda design the carb this way if so is there something we can do to override the problem?

thank you

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-21-07, 10:35 PM   #2  
That's pretty much the norm for hondas. I'm sure an automatic choke could be rigged up, but for the effort and expense, it sure seems like just flipping the choke on wouldn't be too much trouble. It doesn't take much more effort than switching the engine on.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

11-22-07, 06:21 AM   #3  
Yes I realize thats the norm but what is causing this problem with the larger honda engines.I have the V-twin B&S and they all start when warm almost before it turns over one time.

Is it the way honda desized the carb? or is it something to with the way the fuel pump works? or is the firing delayed somehow for a few sec.?

In some cases in the trade that the larger Honda engine is desized for you need three hands,one to choke,one to turn the key and one to hold on.

Happy holiday

NY

11-22-07, 03:45 PM   #4  
The root cause for this is too lean carburetor jetting. All Honda engines are are designed to meet the most stringent emissions standards of the CARB (California Air Resourse Board) even if the engine is sold in one of the other 49 states. These engines are leaned out to the point of requiring choking whether cold, warm or hot starts. It's better for the environment but makes engine starts more difficult.

11-22-07, 06:44 PM   #5  
Never thought on that being the case sorta makes you wonder how B&S gets around those horns.
That being the case more than likely this carb can not be ajusted unless the jets are screwed in.I haven't looked at the jets to see whether or not they have a slot for ajusting.If not why couldn't you make a slot with a small saw that is if they are not pressed in?

MN

11-23-07, 06:54 AM   #6  
Posted By: Turtlebait Never thought on that being the case sorta makes you wonder how B&S gets around those horns.
That being the case more than likely this carb can not be ajusted unless the jets are screwed in.I haven't looked at the jets to see whether or not they have a slot for ajusting.If not why couldn't you make a slot with a small saw that is if they are not pressed in?
I've had a few smaller honda Carbs apart more recently and at least on the small ones the jets do come out. I would imagine you could remove them and put bigger ones in. Briggs are built differently and I believe the design of the carb and intake manifold alone is what makes them start easier. IMO, Briggs is a better engine.

Search this Thread