Sears 32cc Leafblower

Old 11-23-07, 09:50 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sears 32cc Leafblower

Hi;
My elderly neighbor has asked me to look at his leaf blower that has stopped working. I pulled the plug and replaced it with a comparitable 3EC plug. I cleaned the carb., drained the fuel, and re-added fuel in the proper mix.
The blower now starts, but runs with a strange putt-putt noise and blows white smoke, and some spotty black residue out the muffler. It also won't come up to full speed. At times it starts to sound like it will go to speed but then just goes back to a racing putt-putt.
I am starting to think that he had not used a mixed fuel and that the rings may be bad. Any ideas besides a total rebuild ( or new one)?

Old 11-23-07, 10:57 PM
G
Might first inspect the spark arrestor screen to see if it's mostly plugged up.
thanks,

Old 11-24-07, 03:47 PM
B
Sears Blower Further Info

Hi;
further info and request. The model number on this blower is 358.797920 and serial numbered 1K233C914. While disassembling this thing to check the gaskets, etc. and preparing to take off the carburator I found a "Z"' shaped small wire. This was found on the black molded part ( shelf like) which the carb. rests on and measures 7/8(arm length) x 1 1/2(height) x 1/8th(arm length). My exploded view for this model blower does not show this anywhere. Any ideas,or knowledge, where it might have come from? I have looked, and looked, and can't seem to see where it would connect(join) to.

Old 11-24-07, 08:34 PM
B
More Info

Hi;
did some on-line checking and found the aforementioned "Z" wire to be listed as a grounding wire. Now to find where on the carb. and block it attaches. Further dis-assembly of this gem I found that the spark plug terminal at the plug was damaged. Looks like the wire piercing part of the terminal is broken. I don't think that there was twisting and removing here, just straight pull. Anyone know, in the NYC area, where I can find the replacement terminal that can be squeezed on? I used to have a whole bunch of them ( used to work on older cars with a friend) but I guess I really slipped and now I have none, and the guy I used to buy from has gone South. LITERALLY, he closed and moved to warmer climes.
Local stores don't stock them.

Old 11-24-07, 09:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
This "Z" wire, is it an electrical wire with insulation, or is it a linkage type wire?

Old 11-25-07, 07:12 AM
B
"z" wire

It is a "linkage" type of wire, uninsulated.

Old 11-25-07, 11:03 AM
J
Smile

If I remember right, the z wire goes in a slot in the plastic cover up inside near the handle,and touches the cylinder when you put the cover back on,hope this helps.

Jerry

Old 11-25-07, 10:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Look at #52 on the exploded view of the unit. Is this it? I haven't torn apart one of these blowers yet, so I guess I can't be of much help .

Old 11-25-07, 11:32 PM
B
"linkage wire"?

Sorry, I thought that I had posted that the part number was 52. You are right. I found that on the internet. Strange that it doesn't appear in my book of a similar blower.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: