Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

B&S engine

IN

11-24-07, 03:11 PM   #1  
B&S engine

Briggs and Stratton 8hp engine is blowing oil out of valve chamber breather. Anyone have an idea of why this is happening or if there is an easy fix. I have not changed the breather assembly yet because I thought the problem may have been deeper in the engine.

Sponsored Links

MN

11-24-07, 03:19 PM   #2  
Whats the model and type numbers? Is it an OHV engine? There are so many different engines its hard to diagnose the trouble without knowing which one it is..

IN

11-24-07, 03:36 PM   #3  
Model # 190432 Type 6146 Hope this helps

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-24-07, 09:13 PM   #4  
Did it just start doing this suddenly, or has it been ongoing and just getting worse? Is the engine over-filled with oil? Does the oil smell like gas? Is the engine over-revving?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

MN

11-25-07, 07:57 AM   #5  
I dont know how you'd get a gas into the crankcase on this engine, but I guess its possible to have oil/fuel contamination..

Does the engine smoke on startup and/or running? white or blue smoke? Is the air filter clean?

TN

11-25-07, 09:44 AM   #6  
How is the compression? Excessive blow by can cause what you're describing.

IN

11-25-07, 12:02 PM   #7  
It did not do it until start up this year and the oil is fine no gas smell and not overfilled. If you take the hose off that comes form the valve chamber cover to the air cleaner tube it runs fine with no smoke but pumps oil out the hose that comes from the valve chamber cover.

OK

11-25-07, 12:54 PM   #8  
Sounds like the breather reed is malfunctioning. I've seen some that had a foam filter as part of the ass'y, that would deteoirate and plug breather, never tried to clean it up, just got another one.
thanks,

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-25-07, 10:24 PM   #9  
I agree...sounds like the breather may just need to be replaced. I don't often see problems with breathers though. The drain holes in the breather may be clogged. Go ahead and replace it.

I didn't notice this is a horizontal shaft engine with an updraft carb at first. Fuel contamination of the oil wouldn't be a concern on this engine.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread