HMSK100 Tacumseh Engine

Old 11-25-07, 02:52 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
HMSK100 Tacumseh Engine

Hello,

I have a Murray 10hp snow thrower model # 629104X4 with HMSK100 Tacumseh engine. I have a problem keeping it running after I turn the choke to the off position. It starts and runs until I turn off the choke then it stalls. I'm guessing it has something to do with the carburator. The carburator number is 5036A8J or U. I'm having difficulty locating a carburator with that number. Perhaps I have the wrong number. Can someone in our audience cross match this number to a valid carburator? Also, I'd be interested in cleaning the carburator before I replace it. Can someone tell me how to go about cleaning it? Any help would be greatly apprecieated.

Thanks,

Tom Popdan

Old 11-25-07, 02:59 PM
G
There will be a Tecumseh service manual on the following site that will cover your carb.
Might be if the bowl nut was thoroughly cleaned might solve your problem.
http://toprake.com/index.php?module=...position=11:11
thanks,

Old 11-25-07, 03:08 PM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
As Glenm stated the only thing you probably need to do it remove the nut that holds the bowl(main jet) and clean the 2 holes at the botton and a tiny one midway up and the one thru the center(I usually use the wire from a twist tie) then blow them all out with brake parts cleaner and you should be good to go. Have a good one. Geo

Old 11-25-07, 05:37 PM
T
Gentlemen,

Thanks for responding so quickly. The following best describes my carburator. The bottom of the bowl has a center nut and a plug with a spring. If I press the plug with the spring gas come out. Is this a drain for the bowl or is it the nut I need to remove and clean or is the center nut the thing I need to remove and clean. Please let me know. Thanks again for your help!

SERIES 10 (EMISSION)
The Series 10 carburetor is identical to the Series 8
carburetor with the addition of a choke to assist in cold
weather starts. It also has a fixed idle and main. The idle
restrictor jet will be capped to prevent access unless the
cap is removed. The fixed main jet is part of the bowl nut.
A ball plug is visible from the bottom, which seals the
metering passage. This carburetor also has a serviceable
main nozzle emulsion tube and a stepped primer bulb to
assist in starting. (diag. 20)

Old 11-26-07, 04:53 AM
G
The center nut that holds the carb bowl on. this is referred to as the fixed main jet. Clean per Geo's suggestions and we'll go from there.
thanks,

Old 11-27-07, 11:37 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If needed, the following are the carb parts you may need: 640349, carburetor assembly; 632760B, repair kit; 640005, emulsion tube; 640012, main jet/bowl nut; 640016, idle jet; 632816, float.

Old 01-07-08, 02:46 PM
T
HMSK100 - Engine not running smoothly

Hello,

It's been a while since I spoke to anyone about my carburator on my snow thrower. Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I got sidetracked by other things.

I've cleaned the bowl and the two holes in the retainer nut as you folks suggested and the problem has gone away. After I start the engine, I'm able to turn the choke off and the engine continues to run, but another problem has surfaced. The engine keeps speeding up and slowing down and will not idle smoothly. Does anyone out there have any suggestions about how to fix this problem.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Tom Popdan

Old 01-07-08, 04:17 PM
G
Did you thoroughly clean the entire carb, or just the bowl and bowl nut ??
thanks,

Old 01-07-08, 05:09 PM
T
I cleaned the bowl and nut. Not anything else.

Old 01-07-08, 06:57 PM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
Sounds like you missed the tiny hole in the bowl nut, it is about 1/2 up in the unthreaded area. Refer to the picture below. Have a good one. Geo
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...c_bowl_nut.jpg

Old 01-12-11, 06:26 AM
B
Carverator adjustment

Did you adjust your carberator? All you have to do is preset your idle and high speed mixture screws. To do this, turn them both all the way in untill you can not turn them any more, then back them each out a turn and a half. Unless you do not have an adjustiable carberator.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: