toro 724 snow blower engine hsk70 has high race then stalls out

Old 11-27-07, 04:48 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
toro 724 snow blower engine hsk70 has high race then stalls out

My name is john. I've been trying to get my snow blower to run right. Just can not figure out. I prime engine two times. Put the choke on full. starts to run. I turn the choke off and then engine go's into a high race. then stalls out. The person that gave it to me said he rebuilt the carb & changed the oil. It seems like the governor is broken. took the carb off myself, it was clean, had new bowl sprayed out jets w/ carb cleaner, there is no debris in bowl or carb itself. not sure if it could be wrong carb kit. I also replaced linkage on carb to governor. throttle linkage does move freely, when starting engine after shutting choke off I lower the throttle to about 1/2way maybe a little less and engine still goes into a race. Need some help please. Engine is tecumseh hsk70. Thanks for your help

Last edited by john1217; 11-27-07 at 06:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-27-07, 05:49 PM
S
post all of your engine numbers, they are stamped on the engine cover near the spark plug or on a tag on the carb side. I am guessing 1 of 2 things.

1) He may have used the wrong carb kit

2) When reassembling carb he did not get linkage correct.

Start with the simple 1st. Remover heater box, this is cover over carb. 2 small screws on the side, 1 on top near spark plug and one on the front which is small screw near oil fill tube. Should be 2 linkage rods. I am assuming your throttle control is on the engine and not the handles. One rod goes from that plate to governor and one rod from throttle plate on carb to governor. Check that these move freely and are not binding up somewhere. When you put throttle control to fast throttle plate should be wide open. Then move to slow and throttle plate should close. With control at slowest speed move governor arm and see that all moves freely.

This is a starting point. Post engine numbers and results and someone will help you.

Old 11-27-07, 06:15 PM
J
changed my post w/ more info

Originally Posted by john1217
My name is john. I've been trying to get my snow blower to run right. Just can not figure out. I prime engine two times. Put the choke on full. starts to run. I turn the choke off and then engine go's into a high race. then stalls out. The person that gave it to me said he rebuilt the carb & changed the oil. It seems like the governor is broken. took the carb off myself, it was clean, had new bowl sprayed out jets w/ carb cleaner, there is no debris in bowl or carb itself. not sure if it could be wrong carb kit. I also replaced linkage on carb to governor. throttle linkage does move freely, when starting engine after shutting choke off I lower the throttle to about 1/2way maybe a little less and engine still goes into a race. Need some help please. Engine is tecumseh hsk70. Thanks for your help
changed this original post to include more info

Old 11-29-07, 04:42 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Here is a link to Tecumseh service manuals, you'll find them useful in checking for proper throttle linkage setup as well as governor static adjustments. If you have a flat-head engine then you will use the 692509 manual or if you have an overhead valve engine then it will be the next link down from the flat head one.
http://toprake.com/index.php?module=...position=11:11

Old 01-01-08, 10:13 AM
T
air leak?

This could be caused by an air leak anywhere between the carb and engine.Possibly loose bolts or kinked/damaged gasket.G'luck

Old 01-22-08, 02:21 PM
H
Same problem

I have the same problem and found out that the governor actuator seems to be broken/not working. When you have the engine running at full throttle, the governor should limit the carb to 1/2 throttle. When it over revs, it should reduce the throttle and when you are actually blowing snow and under a load, the governor actually opens the throttle more.

If, when running, the governor does not have any resistance, then the actuator on the inside is probably broken or disconnected. You will have to dissassemble the front of the engine case and replace/repair the internal governor assembly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: