Best type of snowblower to use...

Old 11-28-07, 10:39 AM
Best type of snowblower to use...

Can I get some general ideas on the best type of snowblower or thrower to use. I hear about 2 stage, multiple speed, hp ratings, and all the goodies. Can some of you break it down for me in general terms without getting real scientific?

What works best and where with x amount of snow, and so on....

Thx

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-07, 04:20 PM
Group Moderator
My driveway is pretty wide and the wind blows quite a bit where I live, my 8hp (2 stage) does a pretty good job. My old man lives in the city with less wind and a narrower driveway and 5 hp works for him. I'd only consider single stage for dry snow of low accumulation.

Old 11-28-07, 04:30 PM
A single stage machine has an auger with 2 or more paddles that throw the snow out of the chute. A 2 stage machine has an auger that pulls the snow towards the center of the machine, where a separate impeller throws the snow out of the chute.
Single stage machines are okay for sidewalks and small drives that don't get much snow/drifting. A 2 stage machine is much better suited for deep, drifted or wet snow.
Most new 2 stage machines have multiple speeds and are wheel driven whereas most new single stage machines pull themselves along with the auger.
HP is power, plain and simple. Generally higher horse power machines are wider, taking a bigger "bite" and will throw the snow farther.

Old 11-28-07, 04:31 PM
I have a girlfriend that is into physical fittness and she does a great job as long as she thinks it was her idea to shovel the drive, however if I were to mention it she definitely has a another stage and it isn't snow that gets throwing then, so I guess she is a 2-stage snow thrower. Have a good one. Geo

Old 11-29-07, 06:50 AM
Very good answers guys. Thanks for the detail oldchevy. It helped to narrow my search down considerably.

I have a corner lot with about 1200 sq ft of sidewalk and drive-that gets plenty of drifting. I also have retired neighbors that I know I would help once I was out there and going. I'll be zooming in on something similar to what Mitch uses.

Good luck geogrubb. I might try that but my wife bakes a pretty good apple pie so I think I'll leave well enough alone.

Thx again.

Old 11-29-07, 07:18 AM
Our two stage Craftsman chews up all we have put it through, minus a few shear bolts (unpaved walkways in Rocky Mountains - I swear the rocks grow like potatoes all winter long!). The snow can be so dry though that sometimes a push broom works best.

Hubby gets most frustrated by snow so he makes for the best snow removal device. Warm fire and cocoa with a dash of a little something something helps recharge a cold engine

Old 11-29-07, 04:20 PM
Based on your needs I would recommend a 2-stage machine. All throwers are not alike, brand wise. Before you make a purchase let us know what brands you have narrowed your search down to. One of the most important things to consider when purchasing a new unit is if you have a local service shop in your area to get necessary service parts of warranty service, if needed. If you have to travel 50 miles to the nearest shop that services the brand you buy it may not be worth it. Let us know what you're looking at buying before you buy.

Old 11-30-07, 08:06 AM
Like I said, I'll get something comparable to what Mitch uses.

I'm looking at Cub Cadets, Ariens Snow King, and Troy Bilt 5-8 hp 2 stage models listed between $700-$800 at the local big box stores. I spend enough $$ there that I should get a better deal than list price.

Plus I figure by the time I buy a new unit it won't snow enough to even use it for at least a couple of years anyway....

Old 11-30-07, 10:55 AM
I strongly agree with puey61.

Old 11-30-07, 11:45 AM
The big box stores don't have service departments!!! Not to mention knowledgeable sales kids. Instead of buying on price why not buy on need and buy from a good old local small business owner that treasures your business and he'll sell you nothing more than what you need, not what happens to be on the showroom floor. When you buy from an independent dealer you also have the peace of mind in knowing that you'll have a place to have it serviced, if needed.

Old 11-30-07, 05:36 PM
Puey 61, you actually using an exclaimation point at me? You're out of line.

My question was answered by Mitch 17 and Oldchevy 4x4.

But for the record I buy on price, quality, and service. I may not get all 3 at the same place but I don't have to. I have a great resource I have taken my stuff to for years for parts and any service I can't do myself.

Thx again guys.