Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Mower belt lasts 1 year is that normal...

11-29-07, 10:18 AM   #1  
Mower belt lasts 1 year is that normal...

I have a Cub Cadet LT1042 with the 2 blade 42 in deck. It has worked well for my yard but goes through a deck belt about once a summer (~25-30 hours of use). Is that a reasonable length of time or should they last longer?

One belt was from Cub Cadet/MTD the other from the hardware store but matching size. Both belts were frayed along the edges pretty bad by the end of a year.

On my old push mowers the belt would lasted 5+ years but I know the mechanics of them are different since there are no twists or angles to it.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

NY

11-29-07, 04:13 PM   #2  
25-30 hours is too short for the belt to fray, unless you beat the heck out of it. Too much deflection can cause this too. Deflection is the difference between the stationary engine pulley and the mower deck. Lets say you cut at the lowest setting or the highest setting, these will cause abnormal deflection. I'd say, however, that you have an alignment issue or a idler pulley in need of replacement. Check all pivot points of the idler system for wear and slop which could cause misalignment and the back side of the belt could then come in contact and cause premature wear.

11-29-07, 07:13 PM   #3  
Thanks

Thanks, I mow on height 4 (out of 6 settings) and take good care of it. It's under warranty until May '08 and I bought it from a local farm center so I'll bring it in and have them check it over, just didn't want to pay a service fee for a normal problem.

Thanks

OK

11-30-07, 06:56 AM   #4  
Might also check the belt keepers, those pins/bolts that ride close to the pulleys to keep belt on, not rubbing belt, and, altho unlikely, the brake pads for wear that stop the deck pulleys such that they contact belt on disengage.
thanks,

Search this Thread