tecumseh LH318SA/LH358SA

Old 12-02-07, 06:53 PM
Unhappy tecumseh LH318SA/LH358SA

I have a 3 year old snowblower with the above opr manual. I was looking for anything that would help me resolve my problem.

It was working fine until all of a sudden, it stopped to move forward and back. The engine is working great. How do I fix it?

I am not really savvy with mechanical repairs but I would want to do it myself if I can.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-07, 02:22 AM
The numbers you gave are good for any engine related trouble you have but not with anything related to the chassis, which is what you have. Post back with make, model and serial numbers off the chassis of the unit.

Old 12-05-07, 07:32 AM
Snowblower that just stopped moving!

Hi, thanks for your reply. Here's the specs:
Murray Select 10HP 27"
Model 627109X31A
SKU 184-690
Serial# 75479247411QR205.

Again, I bought it 3 years ago but may have used it only 6 times. The engine sounds normal and had no problem starting up. I haven't replaced the spark plug and oil this season. Both were new before start of winter last year but I didn't have to use it and just kept it in the garage.

Old 12-05-07, 11:49 AM
First, you need to remove the belt cover and have a look if the drive belt (rear most of the two) is intact or not? If the belt appears OK then you next need to be sure there is sufficient spring tension on it. In other words, is the idler arm spring broken or not? Next, if these two areas check out good then you need to check if one or both of the clutch related cables are broken or not...one from the handle lever to the idler roller (just outside the frame at the rear of the chassis) and one from this point and in to the drive train area to the drive plate. Next would be to be sure the rubber drive disc is in good condition and making solid contact with the drive plate with enough pressure to ensure it does not slip. Last would be to check the axle pin for being sheared inside the drive train area. Good luck and let us know.

Old 12-06-07, 09:24 AM
Here's a really stupid question. How do I "remove the belt cover"? Don't know where to even begin taking out what part. Appreciate more details. Thanks.

Old 12-07-07, 04:48 AM
Turns out that the Sears Craftsman model 536.881800 thrower is an exact replica of your unit, as Murray made it for Sears.
Enter 536.881800 in the model # box at
http://www3.sears.com/
Select the Engine diagram and it will show the belts and idler pulley Puey referenced.
hope this helps,
thanks,

Old 12-10-07, 04:19 AM
Smile

wow, you guys are the best! thank you very much!

Old 12-13-07, 03:10 AM
So, what have you found?

Old 12-16-07, 09:19 PM
drive belt poping off

hi im having a problem with my mtd 10hp snow blower
the drive stopped working tonite , so i removed the housing and noticed a large piece of plastic rubber had broken off the drive wheel ,also the drive belt had popped off and the tension spring was not in place, so i put the spring back in place ,drive belt back on and fire up the blower engaged the drive leaver and just as the blower starts to move the drive belt pops off .
going to pick up a new drive wheel tomorrow , i hope that will solve the problem .

Old 12-16-07, 09:23 PM
drive disk

sorry ment to say drive disk
going to look for a drive disk tomorow

Old 12-19-07, 05:08 PM
Wink Key

You should also check that the woodruf key ,which locks the drive pulley to the p.t.o.shaft,has not broken off.If the two square groves(key ways) are lined up with each other,then that cause can be eliminated.G'luck

Search this Thread