Putting skids on a Toro single stage snowblower

Old 12-04-07, 01:26 PM
Putting skids on a Toro single stage snowblower

I have a Toro single stage snow blower. It works great for my concrete sidewalk and wood decks. However, I would also like to clear a few paths on the lawn and around the parked vehicles in our gravel driveway.
On gravel and grass the paddles scrape and throw rocks and grass all over. Not much fun or good for the lawn.
Anyway has anybody here ever tried to rig up some sort of skid system so that the paddle just clears the surface?? It would have to be easy on and off.
I was thinking along the lines of cuttin the tips off a pair of old downhill skis and doing something with them.
Any ideas out there??
Thanks in advance, John Axtell

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-07, 02:34 PM
Skids For Toro

John;
I have a older two stage, the skids for that blower are similar to a small piece of 90 degree angle iron. Go to a dealer and just look at that. It is a simple attachment using some nuts and bolts. I have replaced mine several times as they wear out and it keeps the auger from striking the pavement. The benefit there is that they allow for different heights to be made. I was even considering some old small furniture type wheels to make it easier to manuver.
Either order a pair from a dealer and drill and bolt or, if ambitious and handy, fab. some from old 90 AG (or something similar). I have found that a simple piece of furring strip is a good ground clearance measuring device.
Just a thought for you.

Old 12-04-07, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator
What Bob M said
Plus, the skids need to be formed in such a way to not dig in.

I have a very long gravel driveway and parking area and have modified this style of skid by attaching a ski-like piece of 1/4" thick poly to it.
A cheap cutting board would do it.
Wheels would not be so good as they would tend to dig in.
You do not want to have the skids too wide because they would just ride on top of the snow.

This is a common style of skid found on current snowblowers.

Click image:

Image courtesy of mfgsupply.com

Old 12-04-07, 05:25 PM
The Toro single stage is designed to be tilted forward to allow the paddles to pull the unit through the snow as it clears the snow away down to the pavement. Putting a skid on it would be counter productive to the design intent. All you need to do in grass and gravel is to not tilt it forward but tilt the unit backwards and push the unit through the snow. You could make ski type plate to give you clearance between the scrapper bar and the ground but you still have to push the unit through the snow. The old S200 or S620 have a curved handle and the Power Lite units have a handle on the chute that can be lifted easily while running and use them like a shovel. The two stage units have the side shoes that can be raised to the upper position and used on gravel and grass.

Old 12-04-07, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by CAMINO KID View Post
The Toro single stage is designed to be tilted forward to allow the paddles to pull the unit through the snow . Putting a skid on it would be counter productive to the design intent. All you need to do in grass and gravel is to not tilt it forward but tilt the unit backwards and push the unit through the snow.
That's what I thought when I purchased it. In practice what is happening is that while tilting back a bit to keep paddles from digging in the wheels dig in to the softsnow/gravel/grass creating a drag that makes it almost impossible to move forward.
That is why I thought some sort of home made skid would allow manual forward movement. My original thought was to use cut off downhill skis and maybe making them long enough so that the rear wheels actually sat on the ski also. The thickness seems about right at 5/8 inch to insure the paddles would just miss the surface.
Still in the brainstorming stage and need ideas. Fastening to allow for an easy on and off has sort of got me hung up now.
But, any suggestions or thoughts are welcome

Old 12-05-07, 11:18 AM
Hey! Go for it,you have nothing to lose. Maybe make ya a millionaire. Let us know how it works out

Old 12-05-07, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by daswede View Post
Hey! Go for it,you have nothing to lose. Maybe make ya a millionaire. Let us know how it works out
You know, I'm actually a bit surprised that TORO doesn't sell something along these lines. There has to be a lot of us who just don't have enough snow to clear to justify a large two stage deal. These smaller single stage units are easy to get up and down stairs on multi-level wood decks as well as sidewalks.
I'll let you know how it workss