Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Snow Blower Craftsman 8 hp won't start

12-05-07, 04:18 PM   #1  
Snow Blower Craftsman 8 hp won't start

Bought it last year - worked fine - used it twice this year - today it stopped - the electric start doesnot work - it just hums when you push the button; and the rope pull start does not move, it is stuck --- what should I do next??

Ron

Sponsored Links

IA

12-05-07, 06:33 PM   #2  
It sounds like the engine may be locked up. Did the engine stop suddenly, then neither starter would work?

First check the oil in the engine. Then make sure the auger is disengaged and the wheel drive if so equipped. Then try the electric start, then the pull start. If you get the same results, pull the spark plug and try to turn the engine over again. If you can't you may have to dismantle the engine.

12-06-07, 08:06 AM   #3  
Snowblower Craftsman 8hp

It did stop suddenly - brought it in the garage and removed all the snow and ice from the machine -- I tried doing what you said -- but I can not budge the auger - tried it again and just get a hum with the electric start, and I can not even pull the cord for the pull start.

I am not too mechancial, so I don't feel real comfortable with taking the 'engine apart' - so guess unless you have any other suggestions I need to call a repairman.

I appreciate your responding to my question.

Ron

IA

12-06-07, 09:59 AM   #4  
I think I would get a repairman in on it. Sounds like something is locked up. The auger may be worm gear driven in which case you may not be able to move it by hand, but with it disengaged as well as any other drives coming off the engine, you should be able to turn the engine over.

When the electric starter just hums and the pull starter won't turn the engine over it's a good indication something in or on the engine is locked up.

12-06-07, 10:33 AM   #5  
Snow Blower Craftsman 8 hp

Thankis again for your prompt response -- yes, it sounds like something is locked up and beyond my capabilities -- I will have a repairman come in -- keep the snow away in the meantime!

Have a great holiday

Ron

OH

12-14-07, 09:11 AM   #6  
I have the same problem with my Craftsman 8HP

I used it once this year, no problem. Second time, it ran for 10 minutes before it stopped. I can't pull start or electric start the engine. I can rotate the auger (with lots of effort), but thats about all. Please let me know what you find out, ronko. If I find out anything once the ice and snow melt away, I will pass it along.

12-18-07, 12:29 PM   #7  
Snow Blower Craftsman 8 hp

Sears repairman just was here and fixed it - 2 gears apparently with the wet snow got misaligned - he fixed it - and did some other minor adjustments -- works fine - hope it is fixed for good - expecting more snow this weekend. I am sure you can fix it, you may need a professional repair person.

Good luck,

Ron

12-29-07, 07:27 PM   #8  
Snow Thrower 8 hp Craftsman

Tried to use it today -- same problem -- won't start - electric start and cannot pull the cord -- frozen - called Sears repair line they cannot come out till Jan. 8th -- is that great service???? NO!!! I think I have a lemon!!!

Also yesterday got 7 inches of snow and I was out doing it by hand for 3 hours.

Talked to Sears - store manager - customer service and they would NOT do anything other than schedule the appointment -- RECURRING PROBLEM!!!

Search this Thread