Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How to remove a electric starter from a Sears Craftsman 9HP Snowblower

12-11-07, 03:50 AM   #1  
How to remove a electric starter from a Sears Craftsman 9HP Snowblower

Hi-
Help....My snowblower is about 4-5 years old.
I believe my starter is gone. I tried to start using the electric start and nothing happens when I engage the start button. My GFI outlet is working fine. So I'm leaning towards replacing the starter. Has anyone removed the starter? Is it just removing the bolts? My plan is to bring the unit to a Sears Parts and have it replaced? Do they take back the old starter and give you credit?
Any info greatly appreciated
F-

Sponsored Links

MA

12-11-07, 04:30 AM   #2  
Post your sears model number so we can double check, but there are only 4 bolts/screws holding the starter on. To reach the top 2 you may have to remove gas tank. To do this, shut off fuel shut off. Remove fuel line from bottom of tank. Remove 2 screws on top of gas tank. You should now be able to remove tank by tipping it back towards you. It has an indent in the bottom which rests on a bracket just abouve the starter.

You may not have to remove tank but it will make accessing the starter easier.

12-11-07, 05:26 AM   #3  
Model# 536.887.990
I called Sear Parts, part is not in stock. $153. for the part, kinda pricey. I'm just wondering could be it something else? I went ahead an ordered the part. Have to wait 10 days for shipping.

Last edited by fabiola; 12-11-07 at 06:24 AM.

NY

12-13-07, 02:44 AM   #4  
There is no core charge (credit) on these starters, it's not like the automotive industry, sorry. They are, however, rebuildable and any one of your local small engine service centers can help you with this and they are a better source for any parts you may need, also. Your best bet is to find a local dealer that services Murray products as this is the manufacuturer of your snowthrower.

NH

12-15-07, 09:49 AM   #5  
When you take the starter off, try it unloaded. You may find it spins, but does not throw out the gear. Many times, cleaning the rust off the shaft and applying a light coat of WD40 will get it going.

Search this Thread