Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Greasing Craftsman snow thrower auger

12-12-07, 09:59 AM   #1  
Greasing Craftsman snow thrower auger

My Craftsman 9HP model 536.887991 has worked well since I bought it. I am having a problem with the grease fitting on the left hand side as you face the auger. The fitting comes out when I pull the grease gun connection out.

The right hand grease fitting works fine but when I pump the grease into the fitting it comes out where the shear pin bolt is. Any suggestions other than replacing the auger shaft?
Thank you

Last edited by DIYaddict; 12-13-07 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Email address removed as this is not allowed and protect your email from being filled with spam

Sponsored Links

NY

12-13-07, 02:26 AM   #2  
The grease zerk fittings are not a replaceable part so the only way you'll get it new-like is to purchase a new collector assembly. Also, because the material is so thin that you will not be able to replace the zerk with a thread in type zerk (nothing to tap and thread). One thing you can try is to find your local Ariens snowthrower dealer and buy one of their zerks that is their old school, barbed, tap-in type. You'll need to disassemble the auger assembly from the housing assembly and then remove the RH collector and then drill and tap-in the new zerk.

12-13-07, 04:04 AM   #3  
Thank you. I may have found a shaft from the

same model as mine that is supposedly in good shape. Will know later on today. I would like to disassemble it today and replace it before this evening as foul weather is predicted later on.

MA

12-13-07, 07:13 AM   #4  
Craftsman grease zerk

Posted By: puey61 The grease zerk fittings are not a replaceable part so the only way you'll get it new-like is to purchase a new collector assembly. Also, because the material is so thin that you will not be able to replace the zerk with a thread in type zerk (nothing to tap and thread). One thing you can try is to find your local Ariens snowthrower dealer and buy one of their zerks that is their old school, barbed, tap-in type. You'll need to disassemble the auger assembly from the housing assembly and then remove the RH collector and then drill and tap-in the new zerk.
I followed the manual in how to locate the zerk, but it does not give any additional help. The "zerk" looks like a plug of some sort. There is no way to get grease into the drive at that point.
I would appreciate any assistance in this matter.

12-13-07, 08:08 AM   #5  
Thank you. I am just going to look at a used

replacement auger for my model.

Search this Thread