Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Honda HRR216 not starting/staying on

12-14-07, 03:52 PM   #1  
Honda HRR216 not starting/staying on

I have a Honda HRR216 lawn mower and it was working in the past. Just recently, it would die after mowing either the front yard or the back yard. Now it just plain won't start. I've tried 2 new spark plugs and have cleaned the carburetor twice. I also removed the main jet from the carb and gave it a thorough cleaning on its own.

The fuel line is clear and I put in new fuel. If I put it in the fastest mode, it'll start and work for about 8 seconds then stall out and die. If I put it in the slowest mode, it'll start for 3 seconds, then die. It only works at the 2 extremes, it won't work if i put it in a middle speed mode.

Sponsored Links

NH

12-14-07, 04:04 PM   #2  
check for spark. a friend of mine had the same problem on his lawn tractor(not Honda). The problem was the coil got hot causing it to shut down and not re-start.

12-14-07, 04:49 PM   #3  
well i tinkered around some more, its working again, sort of. the first time i started it, i had it set on a hair just below the slowest mode, if i pull the lever back all the way to set it to slow, a spring pops out of the setting and resettles (not quite sure how to explain it in words).

Then I let it turn off, and start it again successfully the same way. Since I had it on, I just mowed the yard a bit, then I turned it off. Now, if I start it, it has to be in the fastest mode, the lever has to be down all the way. I can't start it up in the slow mode anymore.

how do i check for a spark? i pull out the spark plug but leave the coil pack connected to it and pull the cord?

edit: ahh, found a diagram here: http://www.planopower.com/store/hond...rol_assy.shtml

It's #7, the governor spring, if i pull the lever too far back into slow mode, it pops out from being stretched back to normal.

I'm also experiencing surging about every 30 seconds. i found this thread: http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...ghlight=hrr216

i guess i should get a new carb? found one for $40 shipped to California, (if somebody finds one for cheaper please PM me, thanks)

Last edited by indelible; 12-14-07 at 05:11 PM.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-14-07, 11:21 PM   #4  
See if it will run better with the air filter removed. If so, replace it.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

12-15-07, 06:42 PM   #5  
started it up again today, tried the filter on and off, ran the same way. it runs like new now if i keep in the fast mode, surging is gone, if i move the lever towards slow, it dies out.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-16-07, 12:22 AM   #6  
It does sound like a carb problem. Did you clean it in a good bath-type cleaner?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread