MTD -Tecumseh 5 HP snowthrower won't start

Old 12-15-07, 11:37 AM
MTD -Tecumseh 5 HP snowthrower won't start

I have a Tecumseh 5 HP engine on an MTD snowthrower...I loaned it to my brother-in-law for a year while i was away. .I think he left it outside uncovered, but not sure about the uncovered part. Anyways, it won't start. I drained the gas, put in fresh. Put in a new plug and getting fine spark. Cleaned the carb. bowl which had a tiny bit of water in it. While having the bowl off, a little silver metal piece (looks like a plumb bob) fell out. I think it came out from a hole just above where the float attaches with the pin, but not sure. I reattached and tried to start, but nothing....just cranks over. Gave it a shot of starting fluid and it fired and ran for the 3 seconds until it burned off. The plug is not wet nor does it look like any gas is getting to the plug. Any suggestions? thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-07, 12:41 PM
The metal thing that fell out is the needle valve that controls the flow of fuel into the bowl. If it's goofed up then there is the possibility that you're not getting any fuel. If it burns off the starting fluid then stalls then it's probably not getting gas. Put a pair of vise grips on the fuel line and pinch it off. Remove the bowl and operate the float/needle valve by hand. If it seems to be working un-clamp the hose and make sure that when you let the float drop that fuel comes out.

Jim

Old 12-17-07, 05:54 AM
thanks, jim

You were right on with your answer. The needle valve was not sitting properly in its area....what was happening was that it was sticking in the up (in) position and wasn't allowing gas into the bowl. The little hair wire was getting caught on the raised piece of the float and pushing it in at an angle which would not allow it to move slowly, in fact, it was just sticking in the "in" position. It is running at a slightly revving up and down mode but not real terrible. Any adjustments I can make on screws to smooth it out? Thanks again. I hope that was the fix it needed. My back thanks you too.

Old 12-17-07, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by john w b View Post
You were right on with your answer. The needle valve was not sitting properly in its area....what was happening was that it was sticking in the up (in) position and wasn't allowing gas into the bowl. The little hair wire was getting caught on the raised piece of the float and pushing it in at an angle which would not allow it to move slowly, in fact, it was just sticking in the "in" position. It is running at a slightly revving up and down mode but not real terrible. Any adjustments I can make on screws to smooth it out? Thanks again. I hope that was the fix it needed. My back thanks you too.
No problem.

The revving up and down is a pretty common problem. Some refer to it as surging. It's usually caused by a lean condition and the Snow King engines are notorious for it. Some also blame the ethanol in today's fuel, too. You may be able to choke it a little to get it to smooth out.

Jim

Old 12-17-07, 03:44 PM
It sounds like the carb is varnished from fuel being left in it, I would suggest cleaning the bowl nut(main jet), I usually use the wire from a twist tie and then blow it out with brake parts cleaner. Refer to the photo below for the hole location. Have a good one. Geo
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...c_bowl_nut.jpg