Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Old Craftsman Snowblower reverse drive belt

CT

12-15-07, 03:11 PM   #1  
Old Craftsman Snowblower reverse drive belt

I have a Craftsman 24 Snow blower Model 536.82200. I have had it at least 18 years and it was several years old when it was passed on to me. I have no manual and Sears no longer lists the model for parts. My problem is that I need to replace the reverse drive belt. The shaft appears to be a single piece with separate chain drives for high and low gear and a belt for the reverse. A yoke from the shift lever pushes either the high or low sprocket to their locks. There is a split pulley on the shaft for the reverse and the belt is engaged by a simple tensioner lever. I cannot see how to get the belt on without disassembling the entire shaft assembly which would be a real pain. I would think it was designed with replacing the belt in mind like a split shaft or something.

Any advice would be appreciated. Its a good, tough, old machine!

Sponsored Links

NH

12-16-07, 09:51 AM   #2  
Robert, can you post a photo of the assembly you are trying to replace? I have never heard of a seperate belt for reverse, but this is a 25 year old AMF/Murray and Murray went bankrupt a few years ago.

Posted By: RobertH I have a Craftsman 24 Snow blower Model 536.82200. I have had it at least 18 years and it was several years old when it was passed on to me. I have no manual and Sears no longer lists the model for parts. My problem is that I need to replace the reverse drive belt. The shaft appears to be a single piece with separate chain drives for high and low gear and a belt for the reverse. A yoke from the shift lever pushes either the high or low sprocket to their locks. There is a split pulley on the shaft for the reverse and the belt is engaged by a simple tensioner lever. I cannot see how to get the belt on without disassembling the entire shaft assembly which would be a real pain. I would think it was designed with replacing the belt in mind like a split shaft or something.

Any advice would be appreciated. Its a good, tough, old machine!

CT

12-16-07, 01:59 PM   #3  
Indy, thanks for the reply. I will try and get out to get a pic tonight or tomorrow

CT

12-16-07, 05:37 PM   #4  
Here is the drive shaft components, shot from the bottom:

NH

12-17-07, 05:01 PM   #5  
Robert, it looks like to me that the shaft does indeed have to come off. Have fun!!

Posted By: RobertH Here is the drive shaft components, shot from the bottom:

CT

12-17-07, 07:10 PM   #6  
Come on man, as my savior, your supposed to do better than that
But seriously, thanks for the help

Search this Thread