Ariens ST724/Tecumseh HSK70 NO SPARK PROBLEM

Old 12-17-07, 04:46 AM
Ariens ST724/Tecumseh HSK70 NO SPARK PROBLEM

I have an Ariens ST724 snow thrower with the Tecumseh HSK70 engine. I have had an intermittent no spark/weak spark problem that I thought was a bad spark plug connector clip. I re-attached that but and was able to start and run for a while with an occasional miss. No I am back to no start and no spark.

What is involved in replacing the solid state ignition assembly which appears to include the spark plug wire. Does it require spercial tools. I have done engine assembly and rebuilding on cars but never any small engine work.

It appears that I would need to remove the engine housing (that contains the pull start? To remove the engine shroud, it looks like the auger bracket, fuel tank, throttle linkage and intake shroud need to be removed prior....can anybody confirm or advise on disassembly?

Thanks,

JB

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-07, 09:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, you'll need to remove the engine shroud and anything in the way of that. Then there are just 2 screws holding the coil in place. Remove it, install a new one (make note to not install it upside down), and place a brass .010" feeler gauge between the legs of the armature and the magnets on the flywheel. Tighten the screws and then remove the feeler gauge. If you don't have the feeler gauge, a regular business card should suffice. Reconnect the kill wire and reassemble.