Ryan-IDC String Trimmer - fuel line routing

Old 12-15-07, 06:38 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ryan-IDC String Trimmer - fuel line routing

I have a Ryan-IDC 580-1 Supreme straight shaft HD grass/weed/brush trimmer. Unit's fuel/return lines old enough to become brittle. Lines, primer button shattered, have obtained new fuel lines and primer but am unsure of proper routing. Question: Is the primer button/pump intended to provide positive pressure to the carburetor or is it supposed to provide suction pressure to the return side of the carburetor. Or worded another way. Should the fuel supply line connect to the primer button or directly to the carburetor.

Original instructions/diagrams unclear as to tubing routing. All help appreciated.

Raleigh1

Old 12-16-07, 12:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Generally, the fuel line with the filter in-tank goes to the carb. Then a line from the carb to the suction on the primer, and then a line from the pressure on the primer back to the fuel tank.

Old 12-18-07, 08:02 PM
R
Cheese,
Thanks for the information. My only concern is that the pre-cut fuel lines don't seem to match the suggested configuration. Are there exceptions to the primer/suction on the carb/ arrangement. Trimmer starts and runs under primer providing positive pressure to the carb, but did not run for an extended time. Any suggestions as ways to verify ? Thanks for your assistance.

Old 12-18-07, 09:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've never seen a primer provide pressure to the carb. In fact, if it were arranged that way, the carb fuel pump would have to have enough suction to pull fuel through both check valves in the primer. I'm quite sure it isn't intended to be routed in this manner.

Usually when a unit has rotten fuel lines, it also has a gummed up carb.

Old 12-19-07, 03:08 PM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
Maybe these pictures will help, I think the line with the yellow is the return. Have a good one. Geo

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...Picture001.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...Picture002.jpg

Old 12-19-07, 06:42 PM
R
Cheese and Geo -

Thanks for the information !!

Raleigh1

Old 12-19-07, 07:04 PM
R
Cheese,
Please bear with me, in thinking through your response, I realized that I may have been confusing where the fuel supply line should connect. I had been presuming that the fuel supply should connect to the needle valve side of the carb, which on the IDC is the upper left side when viewed from the rear. The carb pump appears to be on the right side of the air venturi on the lower side of the carb. From your description, it sound like the fuel supply line should connect to the pump side of the carb and the return line should be on the needle valve side of the carb.

Sorry to be slow on the uptake.

Thanks again for the help.

Raleigh1

Old 12-20-07, 09:20 AM
J
Smile

On the primer bulb you will see a short connection and a long connection,the short connection on the primer goes to the metering side of the carb,and the long connection on the primer bulb is the return line and goes to the gas tank.and the line with the fuel filter goes to the pump side of the carb.

Jerry

Old 12-20-07, 06:30 PM
R
As the old saying goes "I see said the blind man".

Thanks to all for the assistance. This should suffice, but if I encounter any other difficulties, "I'll be back" .

First time user, experience has been great. I will monitor to see if I can be of assistance in other areas, that I am more knowledgeable in !

Old 12-21-07, 12:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad we could help, and thanks for the good review! You know where we're at now....see ya next time!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: