Fuel flow problem???

Old 12-18-07, 06:22 AM
Fuel flow problem???

Hello,
I have a Troy Bilt model 1030 Storm snow thrower with a 10H.P. Tecumseh engine. I bought new last year and used it twice. Both times it ran for about 15-20 minutes then stalled. It started back up then would only run for a few more minutes.
I went to use it for the 1st. time this season, same thing happened. This time I couldn't get it started back up until I let it sit for about 20 minutes. I decided to take off carb. bowl and found little tiny black bits of sediment in bottom. I then took off fuel tank to drain & clean it out. I put my finger over the outlet hole where the fuel line is connected, once I removed my finger the fuel kind of trickled out slowly. So I loosened the gas cap and it came out faster, but then eventually it started trickling and stopping. I kept pouring in fresh gas and swishing it around multiple times. Sometimes the gas would flow pretty good out the hole and sometimes it would be intermittent. I did this repeatively quite a few times and it seemed like I made progress.
I blew fuel line out with air compressed air, cleaned out carb. parts and put back together.
After priming a few times, it started right up , ran fine as long as throttle was set on low. As soon as I increased throttle it would run for a few seconds , then stall. I went through this quite a few times. I was able to get it started again everytime after priming about 8-10 times. Finally I gave up.
Is this fuel tank supposed to release fuel at a steady flow from just gravity alone? Or does the carb. create a suction once running? Also I took off fuel cap and underneath the piece of rubber in the cap, there is a piece of foam like material, that was all wet also.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Last edited by midnight_moses; 12-18-07 at 07:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-07, 07:53 AM
This is a common problem, especially on equipment bought from "big box" stores. They just send them out the door and never properly prep them. That is why you can buy them for $100-$200 less than at a lawn mower store. You solved your own problem "So I loosened the gas cap and it came out faster". Gas cap is your problem. The vent is plugged. They are shipped with a protective coating on them and is supposed to be removed before selling. Big box store don't do this. Clean the gas cap with spray carb cleaner and push a wire thru the vent hole. This is a gravity feed system. No fuel pump.

Originally Posted by midnight_moses View Post
Hello,
I have a Troy Bilt model 1030 Storm snow thrower with a 10H.P. Tecumseh engine. I bought new last year and used it twice. Both times it ran for about 15-20 minutes then stalled. It started back up then would only run for a few more minutes.
I went to use it for the 1st. time this season, same thing happened. This time I couldn't get it started back up until I let it sit for about 20 minutes. I decided to take off carb. bowl and found little tiny black bits of sediment in bottom. I then took off fuel tank to drain & clean it out. I put my finger over the outlet hole where the fuel line is connected, once I removed my finger the fuel kind of trickled out slowly. So I loosened the gas cap and it came out faster, but then eventually it started trickling and stopping. I kept pouring in fresh gas and swishing it around multiple times. Sometimes the gas would flow pretty good out the hole and sometimes it would be intermittent. I did this repeatively quite a few times and it seemed like I made progress.
I blew fuel line out with air compressed air, cleaned out carb. parts and put back together.
After priming a few times, it started right up , ran fine as long as throttle was set on low. As soon as I increased throttle it would run for a few seconds , then stall. I went through this quite a few times. I was able to get it started again everytime after priming about 8-10 times. Finally I gave up.
I this fuel tank supposed to release fuel at a steady flow from just gravity alone? Or does the carb. create a suction once running? Also I took off fuel cap and underneath the piece of rubber in the cap, there is a piece of foam like material, that was all wet also.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.