Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Fuel flow problem???

OH

12-18-07, 06:22 AM   #1  
Fuel flow problem???

Hello,
I have a Troy Bilt model 1030 Storm snow thrower with a 10H.P. Tecumseh engine. I bought new last year and used it twice. Both times it ran for about 15-20 minutes then stalled. It started back up then would only run for a few more minutes.
I went to use it for the 1st. time this season, same thing happened. This time I couldn't get it started back up until I let it sit for about 20 minutes. I decided to take off carb. bowl and found little tiny black bits of sediment in bottom. I then took off fuel tank to drain & clean it out. I put my finger over the outlet hole where the fuel line is connected, once I removed my finger the fuel kind of trickled out slowly. So I loosened the gas cap and it came out faster, but then eventually it started trickling and stopping. I kept pouring in fresh gas and swishing it around multiple times. Sometimes the gas would flow pretty good out the hole and sometimes it would be intermittent. I did this repeatively quite a few times and it seemed like I made progress.
I blew fuel line out with air compressed air, cleaned out carb. parts and put back together.
After priming a few times, it started right up , ran fine as long as throttle was set on low. As soon as I increased throttle it would run for a few seconds , then stall. I went through this quite a few times. I was able to get it started again everytime after priming about 8-10 times. Finally I gave up.
Is this fuel tank supposed to release fuel at a steady flow from just gravity alone? Or does the carb. create a suction once running? Also I took off fuel cap and underneath the piece of rubber in the cap, there is a piece of foam like material, that was all wet also.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Last edited by midnight_moses; 12-18-07 at 07:52 AM.

Sponsored Links

NH

12-18-07, 07:53 AM   #2  
This is a common problem, especially on equipment bought from "big box" stores. They just send them out the door and never properly prep them. That is why you can buy them for $100-$200 less than at a lawn mower store. You solved your own problem "So I loosened the gas cap and it came out faster". Gas cap is your problem. The vent is plugged. They are shipped with a protective coating on them and is supposed to be removed before selling. Big box store don't do this. Clean the gas cap with spray carb cleaner and push a wire thru the vent hole. This is a gravity feed system. No fuel pump.

Posted By: midnight_moses Hello,
I have a Troy Bilt model 1030 Storm snow thrower with a 10H.P. Tecumseh engine. I bought new last year and used it twice. Both times it ran for about 15-20 minutes then stalled. It started back up then would only run for a few more minutes.
I went to use it for the 1st. time this season, same thing happened. This time I couldn't get it started back up until I let it sit for about 20 minutes. I decided to take off carb. bowl and found little tiny black bits of sediment in bottom. I then took off fuel tank to drain & clean it out. I put my finger over the outlet hole where the fuel line is connected, once I removed my finger the fuel kind of trickled out slowly. So I loosened the gas cap and it came out faster, but then eventually it started trickling and stopping. I kept pouring in fresh gas and swishing it around multiple times. Sometimes the gas would flow pretty good out the hole and sometimes it would be intermittent. I did this repeatively quite a few times and it seemed like I made progress.
I blew fuel line out with air compressed air, cleaned out carb. parts and put back together.
After priming a few times, it started right up , ran fine as long as throttle was set on low. As soon as I increased throttle it would run for a few seconds , then stall. I went through this quite a few times. I was able to get it started again everytime after priming about 8-10 times. Finally I gave up.
I this fuel tank supposed to release fuel at a steady flow from just gravity alone? Or does the carb. create a suction once running? Also I took off fuel cap and underneath the piece of rubber in the cap, there is a piece of foam like material, that was all wet also.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Search this Thread