1980 Wards snowthrower problem

Old 12-20-07, 11:56 AM

I have a 20-25 year old Wards 5 HP 2 stage snowthrower. Starts and runs well except for the chopper blade in the front (auger?) stops turning often while blowing. The impeller throws the snow fine however. I changed the shear pins, new belts, checked bevel gears in the gearbox housing, filled it back up with new oil. Also cleaned both gear teeth with a triangular file to insure no burrs or grit in them. Ran fine for 2 days, now is acting up again. Can't see anything thats worn or broken. Can you advise, please ? Thanks.
Don - Schenectady NY

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-07, 05:54 AM
1980 Wards snowblower - help ???

More info: I believe the "chassis no." is this - TMO-35275C and engine identification numbers is - B&S 130202-1890-01. There's also an "engine label" no. 777-4411. Yesterday someone mentioned that the flange bearings on the very ends of the spiral auger assemblt shaft may be worn and loose, causing this problem. (They ARE somewhat loose and sloppy.) Sound like this may be a contributor ??? I'm puzzled and frustrated. Help please ???

---Quote (Originally by Don2104)---
I have a 20 year old Wards 5 HP 2 stage snowthrower. Starts and runs well except for the chopper blade in the front (auger?) stops turning while blowing. I changed the shear pins, new belts, checked bevel gears in the gearbox housing, filled it back up with new oil. Also cleaned all gear teeth with a triangular file to insure no burrs or grit in them. Ran fine for 2 days, now is acting up again. Can't see anything thats worn or broken. Can you advise, please ? Thanks.
Don - Schenectady NY

Old 12-27-07, 04:08 AM
Are you sure that the impeller fan is operating as it should and that it is not dying out as well? If so, then I say you have worn worm and/or pinion gears in the auger gearbox. They may have "looked" OK but i'll bet they're not. When you disassembled the auger gearbox did you notice any shavings/filings in there? FYI, the brake is not necessary for proper operation of the auger assembly, it only prevents creeping of the auger assembly when the lever is disengaged.

Old 12-27-07, 08:08 AM

Makes sense. Yes, I did notice a collection / glob of fine dust metal shavings in the bottom of the gearbox when I cleaned it. I will replace the pinion gear first, then the disk bevel gear, if necessary. Impeller works fine - does not die-out at all. Thanks for the brake explanation and the other advice, soooo much, puey61 !!!

Originally Posted by puey61 View Post
Are you sure that the impeller fan is operating as it should and that it is not dying out as well? If so, then I say you have worn worm and/or pinion gears in the auger gearbox. They may have "looked" OK but i'll bet they're not. When you disassembled the auger gearbox did you notice any shavings/filings in there? FYI, the brake is not necessary for proper operation of the auger assembly, it only prevents creeping of the auger assembly when the lever is disengaged.