Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Trying To Remove Flywheel Off A Tecumseh H35 2.7 Hp From Ariens Snowblower

12-20-07, 08:51 PM   #1  
Trying To Remove Flywheel Off A Tecumseh H35 2.7 Hp From Ariens Snowblower

I've got a 70's Ariens 2.7 hp snowblower with a Tecumseh
H35 4 stroke engine. I've got no spark at all and am trying to remove the flywheel to see if the ingnition coil is at fault or maybe a point/condesor issue.?

With the rip-cord assembly off I've tried to wrap around the flywheel a medium gauge (orange outdoor) extention cord wire a few times around the flywheel counterclockwise and while holding thisn with my left hand I tried ratchetting the flywheel nut clockwise to release it. Nothing budges.

any suggestions please? Am I tuirning the flywheel nut in the correct clockwise direction to get it off?

thanks

gus

Sponsored Links

MI

12-20-07, 10:16 PM   #2  
its counter clockwise righty tighty lefty loosey . also its not going to come off without a flywheel puller

NY

12-21-07, 02:16 AM   #3  
The nut will come off without a puller, it's just the flywheel will not come off with a puller. Just to clarify Flirty's post.

NH

12-21-07, 05:56 AM   #4  
Just to add, the puller used on these is not your typical puller.
What it is, is a solid nut that you screw on, then hit it with a hammer. If you try to use a puller with jaws and place the jaws under the outer part of the flywheel, you will break the flywheel if you don't bend or break the puller first.

12-21-07, 07:21 AM   #5  
Thanks To All Your Responses

I don't have access to a flywheel puller and I'm confident the flywhell will come off its taprred spindle once the flywheel nut is off. with a rubber mallet and large well placed screwdriver gentlly proding the perimeter of the flywheel

I just need to get a friend over and lassoo the flywhell with a belt or something and whack the nut to the Left which is Counterclockwise. I was whacking it clockwise yesterday and getting that darn nut even tighter.

Just to make sure,is it left (counterclockwise) to loosen please?

Nutty Gus

12-21-07, 10:14 AM   #6  
flirty1 you are correct about counterclockwised for nut removal.Flywheel is off

Flirty1 was on the money. The nut did come off. Right is tighty,lefty is loosey.

I used a few feet of telephone connect wire then tied one end to the axle of one wheel,wrapped the wire a few times clockwise around the flywheel and made sure to get the wire gripped in the flywheel gears for tension and then tied the other end off in-line with respect to the flywheel and vertically down.. I then whacked the nut counterclockwise and just pryed a little with a tire iron levering between the flywhell and the engine block and presto the flywheel came off with little force.

No need to get a fly puller at all.

I'll just start another thread to ask how to check a condensor (solinoid) and ignition coil with a multi-meter.

Thanks all again

Gus
toronto canada

Search this Thread