what is the function of snowblower auger brake ?

Old 12-22-07, 11:41 AM
Question what is the function of snowblower auger brake ?

I have already posted my problem with my 20 year old Ward's 5 HP 24" snowblower auger not turning properly. Everyday I try something new and install new parts. My question is: what is the function of the little rubber brake shoe that touches one of the internal pulleys? I noticed it is worn and chewed-up a bit. Would this effect an augers non-rotating motion ? (I replaced shear pins, belts, auger shaft end flange bearings, friction wheel, inspected pinion and bevel gear condition - all are now fine - still have the problem.) Thanks for any help. Model no. is TMO 35275C; engine is B&S 130202-1890-01
Don

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-07, 04:03 PM
The function of the brake shoe is to stop the auger from rotating when the auger lever is disengaged. This is a government required safety device. Lawnmowers also have the brakes. On snowblowers, it is there to stop the auger from rotating so it won't take you fingers off when you stick your hand down the chute to clear it out. And yes, many did that in the 70's and still do today. Just human nature. If you have looked at the new snowblowers, they all now come with a "clean out" tool. Stupid people do stupid things so the government now has to protect you.

Originally Posted by Don2104 View Post
I have already posted my problem with my 20 year old Ward's 5 HP 24" snowblower auger not turning properly. Everyday I try something new and install new parts. My question is: what is the function of the little rubber brake shoe that touches one of the internal pulleys? I noticed it is worn and chewed-up a bit. Would this effect an augers non-rotating motion ? (I replaced shear pins, belts, auger shaft end flange bearings, friction wheel, inspected pinion and bevel gear condition - all are now fine - still have the problem.) Thanks for any help. Model no. is TMO 35275C; engine is B&S 130202-1890-01
Don

Old 12-23-07, 09:58 AM
You also said the auger was not turning fast anymore. When you replaced the belts how much up and down play was in the auger pulley? Its possible in this old of a unit that the bushing on the impeller shaft behind the pulley is worn out and not allowing proper tension to be applied to the belt.

Old 12-23-07, 12:07 PM
did you get the right length belt? I replaced both the drive and auger belts on my 8hp 2 stage and the drive belt that was originally on this old beast was way too short. Took a couple of trips to get the right length.