8hp Tecumseh Rev's too high at full throttle

Old 12-22-07, 03:18 PM
8hp Tecumseh Rev's too high at full throttle

Engine: Tecumseh HM80-155128E on late 70's Ariens snowblower.

The engine was surging or hunting constantly and would sometimes stall when hunting too low at low idle and full throttle. I bought a rebuild kit and completely cleaned the carb, all the little pin holes too. Also replaced the float. After putting it all back together, the engine runs very smooth at idle, but if i give it any throttle, it sounds like it is ready for take off and seems to back fire and spit gas back out through the carb inlet. Im new to small engine repair, but have worked on car and motorcycle carbs. What i dont know about is the gvernor on the engine. i have followed all kinds of ways to adjust it with little success. There is also a screw on the throttle linkage which seems to be a fine adjustment for the governor (im not talking about the idle screw). Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-07, 04:26 PM
1 thing I have seen on the older Ariens is that they have a throttle control on the handle bars. Many people, when they take off the carb, they don't properly adjust the throttle cable. That could be your problem. High no-load RPM on that should be 3400-3600 RPM.

Old 12-22-07, 04:59 PM
I played around with the cable with no luck. There isnt even a gray area to be adjusted around. Its either at a nice smooth idle or ready to explode.

Old 12-22-07, 07:24 PM
Here is the engine manual download link. Have a good one. Geo

www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf

Old 12-22-07, 07:27 PM
Got an Ariens model number of the snowblower?

Old 12-23-07, 04:33 AM
the ariens model is 924039.

Does anyone know how to check the function of the governor to see if it is something i would have to replace?

Old 12-23-07, 09:35 AM
It sounds like either the governor control has slipped, or the governor gear has gone away, or the high speed screw on the throtle cable control attached to the air shroud is set too high. With the hunting in previous post, I believe the first two possibles are out so it leaves the last possible the one that needs to be set. There should be a small allen screw on the side of the control the puts pressure on the throttle spring that goes to the throttle rod on the carb. This spring needs to be backed out. Good luck

Old 12-23-07, 07:32 PM
The govenor spring is too tight-no sensitivity.
Back out the small screw (horizontal) above the carb inside the mounting plate. The linkage should move free back and forth when not in operation. Back it out to the 1/2 way point and try it. When the engine goes under load it should activate and increase RPM.

Old 12-24-07, 09:28 AM
The governor and linkage settings begin on page 27 of the manual that you can download from my previous post. Have a good one. Geo

Old 12-24-07, 11:12 AM
I tried all of your suggestions and am convinced it is something internal with the governor. If i disconnect the throttle linkage, i can move the governor shaft with no effect on engine speed, its like there is nothing connected to it internally with the engine stopped at idle or full throttle. How do i go about checking the internals as far as disassembly procedure?

Old 12-24-07, 12:46 PM
ejl923;
Are my posts coming through in invisible type, in one post I told you were to get the manual for your engine and on my next post I told your the page number where the instructions for the governor begin. Sorry I can't do any better, oh and have a great holiday. Geo

Old 12-24-07, 08:55 PM
if you were to read through the manual there is nothing specific about replacing the governor or troubleshooting it, only taking apart the internals. I do not need a manual to unscrew a bolt and am fairly competent with mechanics, im just new to small engine repair. Thank you to everyone for your suggestions and to the people who have not replied with a sarcastic remark. I guess i will take it from here.