Sears Power Washer Starting Problem

Old 12-26-07, 08:29 AM
Sears Power Washer Starting Problem

Folks,
Please help! I have a power washer, not kidding when I say I have used it no more than 6 times since new. It was never too good at starting, but now will not start at all.

Engine: B&S 6HP, cord pull. No prime button that I can see. I've tried starting with the air filter removed, no joy.
It has fresh gas and a new plug.
There is no spark to the plug.
I cleaned with a wire brush, the large rotor assy. This was very rusty.

I removed and cleaned the small stator assy that has the HT lead connected to it.

None of the above produces a spark, just a soaking wet plug covered in gasoline. It never even looks like its going to fire.

Q: Is there supposed to be a gap between the small stator and large rotor?

Q: There is a small wire attached to the stator assy, which I assume is some sort of LT wire? Is there a way I can check this is working?

Any help would be much appreciated, this piece of kit is driving me nuts. It really is a piece of c**p...and an out of warranty piece of c**p also.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-07, 08:44 AM
I'm not sure what engine you have. The pros will be here to help soon, so maybe post the numbers from the engine shroud to help them. Yes you should have a small gap (maybe.010") between the flywheel & the coil. (this is what you cleaned? )The small wire should be the kill wire & sounds as if the kill wire is shorted to ground somewhere. Follow it & if you see nothing, disconnect the kill switch & check again for spark. Good Luck, Roger

Last edited by hopkinsr2; 12-26-07 at 08:47 AM. Reason: added more info
Old 12-26-07, 05:39 PM
More than likely on this engine you have a choke and throttle combination. Most of the Sears units have the vertical shaft Briggs and if you do not move the throttle to full speed you will not have spark and the choke operates at the full throttle end of the travel. Post either the Sears numbers or the engine numbers and we can be more specific.

Old 12-27-07, 12:50 PM
Power Washer Problem

Members,
Thanks and I'll get the necessary info. I hate to say this but I also broke a bit in my troubleshooting efforts. There is a wire assembly attached to the throttle lever that runs towards the back of the engine. It has a small spring attached to it. Anyway, this little piece of hardware seemed to be doing nothing at all. Regardless of where the throttle lever was positioned, this wire assembly moved nothing back or forth. I'll identify that piece as well in the event that it is this that is causing the problem.

Thanks again.

Old 12-27-07, 05:59 PM
It sounds to me that the wire you are discribing is the wire from the engine govenor that runs the throttle and the spring should be attached to an external throttle lever.

Old 01-02-08, 08:02 AM
Sears Power Washer

Thanks for your help.
The engine number is:

122K02-0169-E1. (It's called an Easy Start Engine!)

The washer is:

1.The latest is that I can get a spark at the plug if I disconnect the light guage wire that plugs onto a spade terminal just below the Armature - Magneto assembly. I did manage to start the engine with this wire disconnected. It ran for about 30 seconds, then stalled when I pushed the governor lever towards the back of the machine. It would not restart. Having said that, though from new it would never restart once you had shut it off. You would always have to wait 24 hrs.

2. I'm sure I'm not getting a spark every time I pull the cord. It looks to me like every 3 or 4th pull I'll get a spark.

3. Does anyone know which position the Governor Lever is supposed to be in at full throttle start? Is it supposed to be pushed toward the back of the machine or pulled toward the front? Reason I ask is I managed to break the small plastic swivel assembly that connects the spring and governor link together. Having said that, the spring assembley was doing nothing at all regardless of whether the throttle lever was closed or full open.

4. Does the Governor lever control the fuel flow? Much like an accelerator cable on a car?

Thanks in advance for your help. It is very much appreciated.

Old 01-02-08, 12:59 PM
Just a thought, but when you are trying to start this machine are you holding the handle open on the wand? I have used many power washers and if it doesn't start on the first pull it has pressure built up that makes it more difficult to start and has to be released before trying again.. It sounds stupid but just a thought I had.

Old 01-03-08, 08:47 AM
Power Washer

Hi, thanks for the reply. No I'm not holding the wand whilst starting. I've now got it going ok. If I leave the small guage wire disconnected from the magneto it will run. The reason it would not restart the other day was because I had to remove the gas tank to get at all the parts. I had tied the gas tank assy to the wheel so it would not get in the way.........and....this is lower than the carb! so once it had run the carb dry then it would not restart. Putting the gas tank back in position fixed that.
So the net position now is I can run the machine with the small wire detached. It starts every time. I have to control the engine revs by way of moving what is left of the small black plastic throttle assy with a screwdriver as I managed to break that assy during troubleshooting. The governer control lever is no longer connected to the black plastic throttle assy, but it doesn't seem to have any function whatsoever anyway. Moving it back and forth while the engine is running has no effect on the engine revs.

Thanks for all your replies, particularly the gent who suggested removing the small guage wire. As I rarely use the machine, I'll probable live with it as it is.

Old 01-04-08, 02:54 PM
the wire to the govenor is suppose to be connected to the throttle on the carb with the spring attacted to external throttle lever. When you pull the trigger on the washer gun the governor will allow the engine to speed up some to overcome the resistance of the pump building up pressure and preventing over speed of the engine when the pump is not working. The small wire that you removed is attached to the stop switch where the external throttle control lever touches when you move it to the slow speed. At high speed or normal run speed the external throttle lever will not ground out the stop switch. This external throttle lever should be just above the air cleaner by the cylinder head.

Old 01-07-08, 05:04 AM
Sears Power Washer

Thanks Camino Kid, that's very useful information. It also explains why it is revving it's bollocks off when I am not pressing the gun trigger. I'll see if I can trace why the ground wire was giving problems now I know what it does and where it goes to. I don't know what I can do about the governor lever problem though as I have lost my anchor point in that the small black plastic assembly that broke off. The governor lever still moves back and forth but not as smoothly as it would when attached to that plastic assembly. Anyway, the machine is working and I cleaned my driveway with it yesterday, so it's in a whole lot better shape than it was. It actually starts every time now.

Regards

Old 01-08-08, 01:18 PM
Take a look at this site and look for the operators manual for you 122k02 engine. It should show the throttle operation and the choke. I did not go to the exact page for your engine but you should be able to find it.

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/mai...&subMenu=3&p=1

Old 01-09-08, 05:13 AM
Sears Power Washer

Will do, many thanks for your help.

Regards

Search this Thread