Tecumseh Govenor/ carb problem/8.5hp

Old 12-26-07, 10:45 AM
Tecumseh Govenor/ carb problem/8.5hp

Snoblower dont blo! I have a Tecumseh HMSK85 engine on a snonoblower. This engine has a mind of its own! Never has run right. Last winter it tossed a valve keeper off the intake valve. I fixed that. It now runs when it wants to, mostly not.
I have rebuilt the carb twice, no change, put on new Tec. carb, no change. Will idle, although rough[this carb has no adjustments], likes either idle or wide open [like ex-wife], likes to quit running when farthest away from garage. Have tried setting govenor, no change, new gas, loosened cap, all the normal things. Runs for awhile, then slows down & quits, like running out of fuel. Pulled line off carb, plenty fuel from line. When running fast, muffler looks like flame thrower. Set out on curb with "Free" on it, guy left me a note saying he wanted $50 to take it! Go Figure? Well, what say all you gurus out there? Maybe I should set wife out on curb,eh?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-07, 04:07 PM
The manual for your engine can be downloaded at the link below, the info about the governor starts on page 27. Have a good one. Geo
www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf

Old 12-27-07, 04:49 AM
I say you have a valve clearance issue. Remove the carburetor/intake manifold assembly in order to access the valve cover/crankcase breather to check the clearances. Be sure the piston is at 1/4" past TDC on the power stroke to be sure the MCR (mechanical compression release) does not affect your clearance measurements.

Old 12-31-07, 08:37 AM
Low Power

Just fixed a similiar problem on a 5HP Tecumseh on a Sears snowblower. Turns out the crank to flywheel key was sheared. The flywheel had turned about 15-20 degrees from the correct location. This caused the ignition timing to be off. The machine started and ran good, but did not have power at high speed. It also acted as if it was running lean as flames would come out of the exhaust. We went through the carburetor twice, because the engine behaved as if it had a fuel problem at high speed. The key on the 5HP was cast aluminum. It took us about 10 hours to find the problem. Don't know if this applies to your 8.5HP, but probably worth a shot.

Old 01-17-10, 06:59 AM
HMSK85 Tecumseh Engine

Originally Posted by geogrubb View Post
The manual for your engine can be downloaded at the link below, the info about the governor starts on page 27. Have a good one. Geo
www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf
Thanks for showing us where to get this manual. i have this same engine mounted to an Ariens Snowblower. Do you have any idea where i can find the engine manual? I couldn't find the right one on the Tecumseh site, and Ariens doesn't have the actual engine manual. Thanks!

Old 01-17-10, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by blowinsnow View Post
Thanks for showing us where to get this manual. i have this same engine mounted to an Ariens Snowblower. Do you have any idea where i can find the engine manual? I couldn't find the right one on the Tecumseh site, and Ariens doesn't have the actual engine manual. Thanks!
Just click on the link and then save it to your computer. Have a good one. Geo