B&S 3HP Model 80202 - Won't Run

Old 12-28-07, 11:26 AM
Exclamation B&S 3HP Model 80202 - Won't Run

Hello All. I have an edger with a B&S 3HP horizontal shaft engine. I cannot seem to keep it running. It has a new spark plug and will run when spraying starter fluid or pouring a little gas in the carb. Once it uses up the fuel it will stall again. 99% sure that it is the carb, which I will be pulling today to clean and put back together. I will also clean the fuel tank and pickup screen. Can anyone tell me about the adjustment on this carb? Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-07, 03:57 PM
Post the Type and Code numbers also so we can narrow it down. I'm guessing the carb sets on the fuel tank and if so you need a new diaphram kit. Have a good one. Geo

Old 12-28-07, 11:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Also when you clean the carb, go ahead and replace the gasket and diaphragm. The air mixture screw on the side of the carb should be set with the engine running at idle speed, to obtain smooth idle. This is usually best at around 1 1/2 turns out from lightly seated.

Old 12-29-07, 04:57 AM
Type: 2392 01
Code: 90040203

Thanks for the help guys. Looks like I'll be ordering some parts. Any idea where to find them?

Old 12-29-07, 08:00 AM
Most of your lawnmower/snowblower shops that handle Briggs parts and/or Oregon/Stens/others with have these parts in a packaged kit. Some of the hardware stores will also have these in aftermarket kits but may not have the tank to the carb gasket. A good shop usually has these as this is a popular engine.

Old 12-29-07, 09:53 AM
Looks like you need a BD5021D kit available from B&D or any good small engine shop. Have a good one. Geo