Snowblower won't drive; spring found

Old 12-28-07, 01:00 PM
Snowblower won't drive; spring found

My old, but still very functional Noma snowblower barely moves forward or backward when I engage the gears. I removed the access plate to check out the flywheel, and a spring fell out. With the machine propped up, I started the engine and engaged the gears. The wheels turn, but when it's on the ground there is not enough torque to get the machine going through the snow. I suspect the spring that fell out applies pressure for better contact. Anyone know where that spring is supposed to go?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-07, 02:14 PM
Got a model number?

Old 12-28-07, 02:26 PM
Model number is 258004

Old 12-28-07, 05:08 PM
Have a really close look @ the friction disc itself. If the O.D. of the disc is less than 4 1/8" than the disc is worn out. (new ones are 4 3/8) There is some adjustment here, but if you see some cracks & wear, replace it now before really heavy snow comes again!! Not sure about the spring, but most pull pulleys away from or to belts. Do you have a spring to pull the tensioner tight to the wheel drive belt?? Let us know what you see!! Roger

Last edited by hopkinsr2; 12-28-07 at 05:12 PM. Reason: more info
Old 12-29-07, 06:54 AM
Look here:
http://www.murray.com/documents/Owne...s/F031066C.pdf

Photos # 10 & 25 show springs.

Old 12-29-07, 11:06 AM
Thanks much for the replies! We had another 6 inches of snow yesterday, for a total of 30 in December. I've had enough hand-shoveling.

Old 12-29-07, 01:09 PM
Friction disk was the problem; it was barely over 4 inches, so I ordered a new one -- the shops around here sold out their stock today. From the manual pictures, I'll be able to figure out where the spring should go.

Old 01-23-11, 02:46 PM
I have a Noma Performance Snowblower (9 1/2 HP Engine) with Tecumseh Snow King and is a 27" auger -
The Drive Chain fell off ( this is like a bike chain - the snow blower does not move forward or backward) - I am not able to re-install the chain around the axe no matter how much I wiggle it or try to force it the way one would re-install a bike chain - The chain is in a fine condition. Has any one have an idea how to re-install the chain ?

Search this Thread