Deere Diesel stalled,doesn't want to crank over

Old 12-29-07, 12:07 PM
Post Deere Diesel stalled,doesn't want to crank over

I've got a John Deere 510D Backhoe that stalled and does not want to crank over. It has a 4 cylinder Turbocharged Diesel that was starting quick and easy.It had run for less than 2 minutes at low speed and stalled out.The starter is trying to turn it over,but the motor seems bound up or tight.I've disconnected the hydraulic pump to eliminate that possible source.The oil is full and clean.I'm stumped at this point.Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-07, 12:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hmm, I'm not the big diesel expert...but it does sound like the engine could be locked for some reason. You might try removing the glow plugs and see if they are burned off, and if the engine will crank over without them. If it was running at low idle and it was cold, the glow plugs could have stayed on too long and burned off, getting the tips mashed between the piston and head.

Old 12-29-07, 01:12 PM
nap
dang, i was hoping to get here first. I was going to suggest pulling the plugs and cranking it over.

anyway, remove glow plugs (allows for no compression) and see if it will crank. (crank by hand). If it won;t crank, you have major problems probably.

when it stopped, did it act like it was shut off or did it stop very abruptly?

Old 12-29-07, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by nap View Post
dang, i was hoping to get here first. I was going to suggest pulling the plugs and cranking it over.

anyway, remove glow plugs (allows for no compression) and see if it will crank. (crank by hand). If it won;t crank, you have major problems probably.

when it stopped, did it act like it was shut off or did it stop very abruptly?
The motor stalled at a slower rate than just shutting the key off.The motor seemed to turn over one revolution after shutting off,then got to the point of not moving or moving very little.