Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman 536.819501 snow blower

OH

01-01-08, 05:37 AM   #1  

Craftsman 536.819501 snow blower. Belt broke; bought a replacement belt, but don't know how to install. There are two pulleys which appear to have ridges that match the ribbed belt. Other pulley (tensioner?). How does the belt go on? Ribs down and over the top of the tensioner? Ribs up and under the tensioner? Help, snow is coming and I need to get this thing running.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

NH

01-01-08, 07:38 AM   #2  
Belt goes on with the ribs in the ribs on the pulleys. Tensioner pulley goes on top of the flat side of the belt. You can see a diagram here: http://www3.sears.com
Just type in your 536.819501 then click "view diagram" to see the set up.

Posted By: dbilich Craftsman 536.819501 snow blower. Belt broke; bought a replacement belt, but don't know how to install. There are two pulleys which appear to have ridges that match the ribbed belt. Other pulley (tensioner?). How does the belt go on? Ribs down and over the top of the tensioner? Ribs up and under the tensioner? Help, snow is coming and I need to get this thing running.

Thanks in advance.

MA

01-01-08, 07:57 AM   #3  
Also look on the inside of the cover when you remove it, often there is a belt routing diagram on there.

OH

01-01-08, 08:06 AM   #4  

Thanks; I figured that was the correct way, but the first time I started it up, it threw the belt. The belt seems really loose, but I'm sure that it's the correct belt. It actually seems a tad smaller than the one that broke. Any way to adjust anything to make it tighter?

Non-US

01-01-08, 05:49 PM   #5  
You may be able to adjust the idler pulleys, but if it has the belt fingers they have an adjustment as well. The fingers keep belts from flying off on disengagement & the idlers keep tension on them during operation, depending on the type of drive.

NY

01-02-08, 12:10 PM   #6  
You have a Murray manufactured snow thrower and you should have gotten belt part number 319596MA as a replacement. Did you? You have an older machine and I don't recall if you have an adjustable control cable or not so have a close look if there is a threaded adjuster integral to the cable or, if not, then perhaps optional holes to install the Z-ends of the cable in order to reduce slack.

OH

01-03-08, 12:34 PM   #7  
Posted By: puey61 You have a Murray manufactured snow thrower and you should have gotten belt part number 319596MA as a replacement. Did you? You have an older machine and I don't recall if you have an adjustable control cable or not so have a close look if there is a threaded adjuster integral to the cable or, if not, then perhaps optional holes to install the Z-ends of the cable in order to reduce slack.
That is, in fact, the belt that I got. I have no idea what the rest of your message means. What cable? What holes? What is a Z-end. Sorry, I am about as far from a gearhead as one can be, but I'm always willing to try....

Search this Thread