Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Carb overflow

CANADA

01-01-08, 10:40 AM   #1  
Carb overflow

Happy New Year..I have an older Ariens w HM80.Checked float level/no sloshing,but continues to overflow when assembeled.Depression on bowl is under needle valve.I can hold float up with thin piece of cardboard and it will not leak,ie. a rag gently touching float piled beneath is sufficient to stop flow.Bowl is not damaged nor floats twisted but everytime I reassemble it gas will flow freely out the venturi tube.I've checked these conditions several times.I am no stranger to small engines but I am stumped.This is the toughest one this year.( carb is clean and so is gas)Need help.Please and thank you.

Sponsored Links

MO

01-01-08, 12:53 PM   #2  
It sounds like the float needs to bed adjusted. Here is the Tec. adjustment info. Have a good one. Geo

FLOAT ADJUSTING PROCEDURE
All Tecumseh carburetors with an adjustable float require
the correct float height to achieve the proper operation
and easy engine starts. To check the float height, hold the
carburetor in an upside down position. Remove the bowl
nut, float bowl, and "O" ring. Place an 11/64" (4.36 mm)
diameter drill bit across the top of the carburetor casting
on the opposite side and parallel to the float hinge pin. The float must just touch the drill bit when the
bit is flush with the edge of the float. If the float is too high
or too low, adjust the height by bending the tab
accordingly. If the required adjustment is minor, the tab
adjustment may be made without removing the float and
carefully inserting a small bladed screwdriver to bend the
tab.

CANADA

01-01-08, 02:33 PM   #3  
burrs

Me again.Thanks but the float parrelism was one of the first things I checked.I examined the float valve with 250X glasses
and found two scratches on each of two of the corners of the valve which I scraped off with a nail.I reassembelled it and the problem is solved.Thanks again.

NH

01-01-08, 03:56 PM   #4  
Remove the float, place it in a pail of water and see if it does indeed float. Tecumseh's are notorious for pin holes in the float that allow gas to fill up the float.

CANADA

01-07-08, 06:48 PM   #5  
Posted By: trommy Me again.Thanks but the float parrelism was one of the first things I checked.I examined the float valve with 250X glasses
and found two scratches on each of two of the corners of the valve which I scraped off with a nail.I reassembelled it and the problem is solved.Thanks again.
Why not buy a new float valve and retainer to be sure??
Not expensive at all.

Search this Thread