Eager-1 6.75hp won't stay running when started

Old 01-01-08, 08:25 PM
Eager-1 6.75hp won't stay running when started

I am new to this forum and need some guidance.

My Lawn Mower, Craftsman Eager-1 21in 6.75hp, has not been used for over 1 year (health issues). I have been trying to get it stared now for 2 weeks. I pull the starter rope after priming the Carb. It usually takes 2 pulls an the engine will start, but stop just as quickly. It is like the fuel is not continuing to flow once it starts running or there is something not set right with the fuel/air mixture.

Where should I start looking first?

The Engine Model # is 143016706

Last edited by doubl00; 01-01-08 at 09:51 PM. Reason: additional info needed
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-08, 04:34 AM
I'd jump right to the carburetor. 99% of the time when an engine sits the Carb gets varnished up and some of the passages get clogged and/or the diaphragm dries out and doesnt pump fuel. If you have the tools and know-how, I'd take it apart and remove the carburetor. Take down all pertinent model and serial numbers (both are important) and go get a rebuild kit for the carburetor. Sometimes you can just clean it and put it back together and it may work but If you want longevity I'd put the kit in. If you aren't comfortable doing it you could take it to a local shop to do the work. A tune-up usually isnt more than $75-$100.

Old 01-02-08, 09:08 AM
doubl00
Here ya go;
Clamp off the fuel line, remove the carb bowl, release the clamp to see if you have good fuel flow to the carb, raise the float to see that it shuts off the flow with minimal pressure, clean the junk from the bowl, clean the bowl nut, 2 holes close to the bottom and a tiny one about midway up(I usually use the wire from a twist tie), spray all holes, cracks and crevases with brake parts cleaner, reassemble and you should be good to go. If this didn't work it will be probably be necessary to rebuild the carb. If I missed something one of the real mechanics will post to help further. Refer to the photo below. Have a good one . Geo
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...c_bowl_nut.jpg