Starting a Coleman generator that has been out of use

Old 01-03-08, 12:50 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Starting a Coleman generator that has been out of use

I have a Coleman generator that has not been started for a number of years and won't start. It fired up and ran rough for 15 seconds or so but won't restart. It has new gas and sat without gas in it stored inside of a shop. It has had little use since new. The oil is full so that isn't the problem. I also tried a can of quick start fluid and that made it start a couple of times briefly but no more.

Engine is Briggs and Stratton model 19E412 10 HP.

Might need the generator tomorrow since there is a big storm headed our way and power outages are common where I live in such situations.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 01-03-08, 01:08 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
Although it was stored without gas in it there was probably enough left in the carb bowl to mess it up.
Clamp off the fuel line, remove the carb bowl, release the clamp to see if you have good fuel flow to the carb, raise the float to see that it shuts off the flow with minimal pressure, clean the junk from the bowl, clean the bowl nut, 2 holes close to the bottom(I usually use the wire from a twist tie), spray all holes, cracks and crevases with brake parts cleaner, reassemble and you should be good to go. If this didn't work it will be probably be necessary to rebuild the carb. If I missed something one of the real mechanics will post to help further. Have a good one. Geo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: