Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Reddy heater prob

AK

01-03-08, 01:43 PM   #1  
Reddy heater prob

Hi, I have a new reddy heater 115k btu oil fired heater. It has never worked properly from day 2 I have been on the "site" & thught the prob was the circuit board so replace that & still does not run for very long at a time. I've set the pump pressure to recmd 5.1. Sometimes it will run for 30min & sometimes it runs for only 2 or 3 min. Any clues would be helpful. Thx, Rancher

Sponsored Links

MN

01-03-08, 03:49 PM   #2  
Sounds to me like it might be a thermocouple or igniter problem.. You said oil fired, do you mean Kerosene?

AK

01-03-08, 04:16 PM   #3  
Posted By: Legal v8 Sounds to me like it might be a thermocouple or igniter problem.. You said oil fired, do you mean Kerosene?
This model reddy heater is multi fuel, kerosene-#1 or #2 fuel oil. In case u didn't know fuel oil is same as "deisel" fuel
btw....doesn't have a thermocouple like the gas/propane units

Last edited by theRancher; 01-03-08 at 04:18 PM. Reason: more info

MN

01-03-08, 05:54 PM   #4  
In my past experiences, if it operates at times and not at others, I'd guess the igniter is to blame, but I'm not an expert. The igniter looks kinda like a spark plug. Sorry I'm not much help but I suspect since the electronics were replaced and the fuel pump is pumping fuel that the igniter is to blame.

AK

01-03-08, 06:38 PM   #5  
Posted By: Legal v8 In my past experiences, if it operates at times and not at others, I'd guess the igniter is to blame, but I'm not an expert. The igniter looks kinda like a spark plug. Sorry I'm not much help but I suspect since the electronics were replaced and the fuel pump is pumping fuel that the igniter is to blame.
You mite have something there, I can't "see" the igniter when running, it's called hsi=hot surface igniter. It allows starts when first pluged in! When it quits there is no intermittent "misfire" like a fouled spark plug or worn nozzle. Thanks for your insite friend

MN

01-04-08, 05:26 AM   #6  
The one I've looked at had long electrodes off the bottom and there is a gap that sometimes gets carbon covered and wont spark. Good Luck!

KY

01-04-08, 01:47 PM   #7  
There are several things to look at, look for cracks in the air and fuel lines, look for cracks on the plastic end/filter holder. Check the gap of the rotor, it should be .005.
Make sure you just don't have crapy fuel. Check the
front of the photocell, make sure it is clean, and aimed correctly, it is the device with blue wires.

Fish

PA

01-04-08, 02:35 PM   #8  
Had this problem with mine...

When you remove the top cover, you should see a aluminium box in the rear of the unit. This box has a plastic fitting in it with a plastic or rubber hose attached that provides air to the flame. On my unit, the plastic fitting was not securely attached into the aluminium housing and did not provide sufficient air for the unit to burn properly. I screwed the fitting into the block and added a longer hose (by 1/4 inch). Resolved the issue so far to date. Hope your solution is as simple.

WI

01-06-08, 02:20 PM   #9  
I have had a few of these units in for service. First pull the top cover and watch the unit run. Some have photo eyes for the flame sensor and if it is bad the unit will start and run for a few minutes unit the timer on the sensor board shuts it down. Sometimes you can jumper the photo eye to see if it continues to run. There has been a transformer problem with a few of the models but I do not remember which ones. Most of these use a spark ignitor that will run constantly. Some use a set screw to hold the ignitor in place and if it comes loose the spark will become intermittent. When it is running the air pressure can be fine tuned to where the cone on the outlet end glows red with a little flame tip occasionally coming around the edges. This must be done with the top cover in place.

01-07-08, 05:24 AM   #10  
the new models don't run the ignitor constantly.
proper air pressure does not insure adequate fuel delivery.
check your air line from the pump to the nozzle for cracks or leaks and check your fuel filter and the bottom of the fuel tank for debris or water. bypassing the photocell is a good idea to rule it out as the problem.

Search this Thread