3 yr old Husqvarna 55R21HV/Honda engine with bowl carb stalling

Old 01-03-08, 08:00 PM
3 yr old Husqvarna 55R21HV/Honda engine with bowl carb stalling

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,
Hope you can help me. I appreciate your advice.
I have attempted to winterize my Honda carb (with bowl) by pouring 3-4 ounces of fuel stabilizer into tank and run till empty. Then attempt to crank a few times to apparently coat carb.

However, prior to this, I inadvertently left mower in garage for the last 4 weeks without running and tried the above suggestion from another moderator(AllExperts.com). What I'm getting is...it's running and smoking somewhat until the auto choke position rotates back to Non Choke position, then engine stops. I move lever to choke once again and same thing happens. The engine fails to run. Yesterday I changed oil, cleaned carb with cleaner, added new spark plug and filter. No change.

I spoke to the shop who has serviced this issue the past two years. They claim over the past two yrs they have noticed an exponential increase regarding the same problem on all kinds of mowers. They attribute to the fuel that is being produced now days. They claim ethanol could be an issue and that their were no remedies except using fuel stabilizer and purchasing mid grade gas once a month. I find it hard to beleive that all mowers are experiencing this and no apparent silver bullet or perhaps bite the bullet and pay $65/yr. which I refuse. Any thoughts?
Thanks agai.
Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-08, 09:10 PM
I don't think "gasohol" would cause such a serious and widespread problem, it would affect far too many engines to go unnoticed from the public. If your engine won't run lean (choke off) the most common cause is a clogged jet. Honda carbs are easy to dismount for thorough cleaning but make sure you get a new gasket for the bowl and an O-ring for the fuel strainer because once removed and put back in place the old ones will have a tendency to leak as they appear to have low tolerance to manipulation.

Old 01-04-08, 05:42 AM
Originally Posted by Steve2365 View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,
I have attempted to winterize my Honda carb (with bowl) by pouring 3-4 ounces of fuel stabilizer into tank and run till empty. Then attempt to crank a few times to apparently coat carb.

However, prior to this, I inadvertently left mower in garage for the last 4 weeks without running and tried the above suggestion from another moderator(AllExperts.com). What I'm getting is...it's running and smoking somewhat until the auto choke position rotates back to Non Choke position, then engine stops. I move lever to choke once again and same thing happens. The engine fails to run. Yesterday I changed oil, cleaned carb with cleaner, added new spark plug and filter. No change.

I spoke to the shop who has serviced this issue the past two years. They claim over the past two yrs they have noticed an exponential increase regarding the same problem on all kinds of mowers. They attribute to the fuel that is being produced now days. They claim ethanol could be an issue and that their were no remedies except using fuel stabilizer and purchasing mid grade gas once a month. I find it hard to beleive that all mowers are experiencing this and no apparent silver bullet or perhaps bite the bullet and pay $65/yr. which I refuse. Any thoughts?
Thanks agai.
Steve
1) I don't know where you were told to put 3-4oz of stabilizer iinto tank and run dry, but this is wrong. You should mix fuel stabilizer with the fuel and run engine on the mix then simply turn off fuel valve and stop engine. Most fuel stabilizers (like sta-bil) has diesel or kerosene products in them and can sometimes gel up. This alone could cause problems.

2) cleaning a carburetor with carb cleaner in a spray can does NO good for you except make the outside look good. To properly clean a carburetor, you need to remove the carb and tear it down completely. Remove all plastic and rubber parts and drop in a bath-type carb cleaner for an hour or more. Rinse with proper solvent (I use Gunk carb cleaner and rinse with water) and blow out with compressed air. Most likely the fault is in the main jet nozzle which has tiny holes in it to atomize the fuel. These are probably plugged with debris or gummed up from fuel and/or stabilizer. What *model* of engine do you have?

Old 01-04-08, 07:52 AM
Here are my thoughts on your post.
Hondas use metal gas tanks. Do NOT run it dry. You want to also add 2-3 oz of Isopropel dry gas.(Agrees with LegalV8) Metal tanks attract condensation. Keep the tank full to prevent condensation that will rust the inside of the tank. The dry gas will keep water out of the gas.
I look at All Experts from time to time and some of those "experts" have NO clue about anything.
As far as ethanol causing problems, that could be true. It really depends on what mixture the gas station is getting.
E85 (85% gas, 15% ethanol) should cause no problems. Anything more than 15% ethanol will cause problems. And the older the engine, the more problems you will run into using E85.

Originally Posted by Steve2365 View Post

Hello,

Thanks agai.
Steve

Old 01-04-08, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by indypower500 View Post
Here are my thoughts on your post.
Hondas use metal gas tanks. Do NOT run it dry. You want to also add 2-3 oz of Isopropel dry gas.(Agrees with LegalV8) Metal tanks attract condensation. Keep the tank full to prevent condensation that will rust the inside of the tank. The dry gas will keep water out of the gas.
I look at All Experts from time to time and some of those "experts" have NO clue about anything.
As far as ethanol causing problems, that could be true. It really depends on what mixture the gas station is getting.
E85 (85% gas, 15% ethanol) should cause no problems. Anything more than 15% ethanol will cause problems. And the older the engine, the more problems you will run into using E85.
Indypower - Just to let you know, E85 is 85% Ethanol and 15% gas; thus the "E"85. This fuel can only be used in engines designed to run on 85% Ethanol (No small engines can run it as far as I know). The octane is quite high (around 110) but burns far too slow for small engines running at a constant RPM.

Old 01-04-08, 09:34 AM
I agree with everyone, so there.
My $.02, using an ethanol blend in an engine that has never used it before can cause problems when the ethanol starts to dislodge the accumulated varnish/corrosion in the fuel system, it seems the residue left behind by evaporated gas and ethanol blend is somewhat different. Have a good one. Geo

Old 01-04-08, 01:04 PM
"Indypower - Just to let you know, E85 is 85% Ethanol and 15% gas; thus the "E"85. This fuel can only be used in engines designed to run on 85% Ethanol (No small engines can run it as far as I know). The octane is quite high (around 110) but burns far too slow for small engines running at a constant RPM."
Thanks for correcting me Legal. We don't have much E85 around here as of yet. I had the ratios backasswards....LOL.

Old 01-04-08, 08:26 PM
BUT you are not right that engines not designed for E85 cant run it LegalV8!! Do a little searching on the internet, this is NOT true especially with carbs. A little rejetting and replacement of all rubber seals and lines is about all it takes. It IS possible.

One link for you just to make it easier for you all.
http://www.fullflexint.com/index.html
That is a company that sells a product to make it better for FI cars. But as I said before with carbs its even easier/cheaper.

Old 01-04-08, 10:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think if you're running regular pump gas (no advertised fuel mixes), then your problem is most likely the carb in need of a proper cleaning. I'd start by removing the fuel bowl and have a look in it.

Old 01-05-08, 08:22 AM
Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
BUT you are not right that engines not designed for E85 cant run it LegalV8!! Do a little searching on the internet, this is NOT true especially with carbs. A little rejetting and replacement of all rubber seals and lines is about all it takes. It IS possible.

One link for you just to make it easier for you all.
http://www.fullflexint.com/index.html
That is a company that sells a product to make it better for FI cars. But as I said before with carbs its even easier/cheaper.
Well, I didn't elaborate well enough. What I *meant* is box stock small engines can't run it. Though with mods it can be done. Sorry I didn't clarify.