Craftsman #536.881800 Snow Blower stalls with load

Old 01-05-08, 03:02 PM
Craftsman #536.881800 Snow Blower stalls with load

The snow blower operates normally by starting, running in both forward and reverse gears and the auger system throws snow, However, under light snow loads or driving uphill without the auger enabled, the engine stalls.

The blower has only 10 hours of operation over 2 years. It operated normally last month during the first snow removal of the season. The gas is fresh, 89 octane. I tried to clear all snow and let the blower set after stalling 3 times. I waited 15-30 minutes between operation. Then I resorted to shoveling.

I would appreciate any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-08, 03:49 PM
Does the engine run rough on idle or does it sound like usual? This could help determine if it's a carb issue or governor problem.

Old 01-06-08, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by sam61 View Post
The snow blower operates normally by starting, running in both forward and reverse gears and the auger system throws snow, However, under light snow loads or driving uphill without the auger enabled, the engine stalls.

The blower has only 10 hours of operation over 2 years. It operated normally last month during the first snow removal of the season. The gas is fresh, 89 octane. I tried to clear all snow and let the blower set after stalling 3 times. I waited 15-30 minutes between operation. Then I resorted to shoveling.

I would appreciate any help.
Sounds like its running out of fuel. I'd make sure there is fuel coming from the tank - remove fuel hose at shut-off valve and ensure it isnt plugged. Next step is to make sure the Float/Needle valve are allowing enough fuel into the bowl. Remove the bowl and hold float up with gentle pressure. Turn fuel valve on and drop float. If fuel flows well at that point then the carburetor probably needs a good soak and blown out with compressed air. What kind of engine is on your machine?

Old 01-06-08, 01:51 PM
How does your unit run with the throttle on high speed? You could have a lean jet in the bottom of your carb which is caused by varnish in your fuel. Remove it and clean the center hole with a fine wire. Is the throttle free so when the governor kicks in under a load that it can open up the carb? If not spray choke cleaner arround it. Did you store it over the summer months with fuel in it?

Old 01-07-08, 06:55 PM
Lightbulb Stabilizer.

Originally Posted by CAMINO KID View Post
How does your unit run with the throttle on high speed? You could have a lean jet in the bottom of your carb which is caused by varnish in your fuel. Remove it and clean the center hole with a fine wire. Is the throttle free so when the governor kicks in under a load that it can open up the carb? If not spray choke cleaner arround it. Did you store it over the summer months with fuel in it?
If you store over long periods of time without use add gas stabilizer to the tank. It helps prevent varnish build up and the gas doesn't go flat.
Sounds like a good carb cleaning is in order.

Old 02-09-08, 03:56 PM
SnowBlower Backfire Under Load

My 12.5 Craftsman 33" dual stage blower has started to backfire and pop under load after having run fine for 4 or 5 minutes. I tried a little choke and that didn't seem to help. I loosened up the gas cap and that didn't help either. It will readily restart but then under load starts to backfire. Is this a fuel problem or a carb jet problem. I always use clean gas with Stabil in it. This uit is 7 years old but with about 12 hours on it. (536.881260) Thanks.

Old 02-10-08, 07:10 AM
If you're getting a backfire its running lean. Either a) the main jet passage has debris in it or b) it just needs an adjustment. Do this: Try starting a new thread with your problem and also post the model and type numbers from the engine so we can look it up. (not the craftsman number as this won't tell us anything about the engine) Its usually easier to start a new topic than to add-on to someone elses. (to avoid confusion).