Brute Snowblower Tire Pin & axle length

Old 01-06-08, 08:38 AM
Brute Snowblower Tire Pin & axle length

I need help.

It's a very heavy snowfall season, so snowblowers are scarce in my city. I bought one from Wal-Mart (everyone else was sold out). It is badged as both Tecumseh (on the engine) and Briggs and Stratton (on the frame), but is also badged mainly as "Brute". I cannot determine the exact manufacturer of this machine...

Courtesy of Walmart, several installation parts were missing (i got a heavy discount). Most importantly, the tires were not locked to the axle - no pins or screws. I thought I could fix this relatively easily.

Now that I am trying to fix this - the axle protrudes 6" on the left side and 7" on the right side. Like an Ariens or Murray, there are two hole locations on the right side of the axle. The problem:

The left side tire needs to be able to slide on about a 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch further to allow me to drive a locking pin through it. I don't know why this is... I assume that the axle is a solid piece with the drive chain and can't be slid through the housing to change it's length on either side. But the hole in the tire rim is not lining up with the axle.

Needless to say, this machine is stranded until I fix this. Any ideas? I'd rather not return it, as there are no snowblowers left for sale in the city. Any help is much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-08, 08:56 AM
Please post the model number.

Old 01-06-08, 11:53 AM
I would... but as I stated in my post, I can't determine the manufacturer, let alone the model number. It's labeled as "Brute" on the augur casing and near the controls. I cannot find any information on a manufacturer named "Brute". It has tags for both Tecumseh and Briggs/Stratton on it. Here's a photo:

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/296/img1979zu5.jpg

Old 01-06-08, 12:35 PM
It appears you have a Murray Blower that Briggs owns now and you will look on the lower housing to the right of the attachment of the left handle on the back side at the engine base you should find a tag with the model and serial numbers on it.

Old 01-06-08, 12:56 PM
try this site and look for the width of you blower.

http://wssemw.arinet.com/scripts/Emp...r%20%282005%29

Old 01-06-08, 01:54 PM
From the photo you posted, I can tell you that you have a Tecumseh engine. Walmart sells mostly Yardmachines which is made by MTD. I believe you have an MTD made snowblower.

Old 01-06-08, 02:26 PM
It seems that Wal-mart will sell both brands but it depends on which part of the States you are in. I have seen both. The newer Murrays have Briggs engines where this says it was manufactured by Briggs, it was probably build at the time when Briggs just took over the operations from the Bankruptcy courts.

Old 01-06-08, 04:53 PM
I'm not sure what you have for a unit, But I'll throw a thought into the ring. With both wheels off, grab the left axle & give it a tug while turning it making sure the axle bushings fit into the blower body . Most moderen machines have a lot of movement this way. line up the pin holes in the rim & axle. Now go to the other side & pull the axle while turning it & make sure of the axle bushings again. If you can get the inner hole to go thru the rim (I bet you can) & the axle, You have it beat. Do not use the outer hole in the right axle for the pin & rim, Only put the pin thru this with the rim further in to make the wheels "freewheel" so you can move it around easier!! Let me know if you have any more questions or trouble. You"ll be blowing snow in no time. Also check the oil. I Bet Wall-Mart didn't put any in, Right?? Good Luck, Roger

Last edited by hopkinsr2; 01-06-08 at 04:56 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-06-08, 04:55 PM
Regardless of what the brand is, when you put the right tire on is the wheel flush with the tractor body? If not secure wheel with pin or bolt and tap axle gently until flush. This should give you the 1/8 inc you need. Yes it is most likely a fixed axle with a sprocket but there is some play in it, especially only 1/8 to 1/4 inch.

Old 01-07-08, 02:20 AM
I recommend pulling off the bottom, drive train inspection pan to have a look at the axle, axle bushings, axle sprocket and any potential spacers/washers between the axle sprocket and left hand axle bushing that may have been installed in error at such point and thereby not allowing the axle to align properly.

Old 01-07-08, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the great responses on this. I had no idea that Murray was in bankruptcy or that Briggs/Stratton was branding snowblowers now.

I tried shifting the axle, and tapped it with a hammer, but I didn't get any great results. I've got it scheduled now for warranty repair on the 15th, and will let them take off any of the casings so that I don't void anything. In the meantime, I've got a good sized cotter pin stuck in there, and that'll hold for now.

Old 02-13-08, 05:41 AM
Thumbs up

i had the same problem with the same snoblower.i saw
someone told u just hammer it a little and u would get
to put in the pin. well it worked;so thanks everybody who

answered this question for wayn0ka

Old 01-29-09, 11:55 AM
so who is in charge of Brute snow blower.......... i need help as it stop blwing the snow last night,,, thanks in advance

Old 01-29-09, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by davevino View Post
so who is in charge of Brute snow blower.......... i need help as it stop blwing the snow last night,,, thanks in advance
Brute by Briggs & Stratton : Service/Support

Owned by briggs, their website can help you out. You need to provide more info than stopped blowing, pretty hard to diagnose a post. Wheels stopped moving, engine died, augers won't turn, that sort of thing. You should also start a new post instead of tagging onto a post from 2008.