SEARS snowblower 536.887990 friction wheel problem

Old 01-07-08, 04:57 AM
SEARS snowblower 536.887990 friction wheel problem

Have a 3-4 year old 9HP snowthrower. starts on second pull. I engage the drive wheel and it doesn't move. The friction wheel barely touches the swing plate when engaged. The friction wheel doesn't appear to be worn. There's around 1/4" of rubber showing. swing plate is in between the "stops" I've never looked at a new friction wheel. How much rubber is there on a new one? Thanks, JB

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-08, 05:24 AM
I believe the left handle is your traction control. If you follow the cable down, there should be a rubber boot covering an aluminum plate with lots of holes in it. Move the cable to the next hole down lower to the ground. This will bring the friction wheel closer. There are 2 columns and the holes are offset. This allows for small adjustments. Try the down in the opposite row 1st and see how that goes, you can always go back and adjust more.

Old 01-07-08, 06:55 AM
Thanks S.E.G.

I've pulled the drive cable as tight as I can and the friction wheel still doesn't contact the swinging drive plate. I'm thinking the rubber on the friction wheel has worn away and that's why I'm not going anywhere. I went on the Sears website to get some help. I'm better off staying on DIY to get the info. Thanks again, JB

Old 01-07-08, 06:35 PM
Measure across the wheel. A new one is 4&3/8 " Anything 4&1/8 or less is worn out. Make sure to re-adjust the cable & linkage after replacing it. Good Luck, Roger

Old 01-08-08, 10:00 AM
Thanks Roger,

That's the kind of info I like. Today its 70 degrees in NJ and who's thinking about snow on a day like today! I know I'll need a the snowthrower next week. Thanks again for the technical info. JB

Old 01-09-08, 02:28 AM
You'll need to look real closely but there is a yoke related to the clutch lever, which moves the drive plate to the drive disc, and we've seen numerous yokes with a broken factory weld and you then can't possibly get a full pull and the necessary tension/friction between the disc and plate. Just something else to consider.