How to clean off old gasket fried to engine block?

Old 01-09-08, 07:05 AM
How to clean off old gasket fried to engine block?

How do you get a gasket off the engine when it has fried itself on? If I pry with a screwdriver I just break a small chunk off. Should I chisel it? I'm afraid that would damage the block. Is there a good way to get these things off? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-08, 07:49 AM
I just use a gasket scraper. Sometimes you will have to use a hammer to lightly tap it to dig in.

Old 01-09-08, 08:24 AM
Thanks!! I didn't know about this tool.

Old 01-09-08, 10:25 AM
I'd also spray it dowm heavily with WD-40 to try to break the bond with the head. Go easy with the scraper as you don't want to dig up the surface of the head if you can avoid it.

Old 01-09-08, 02:08 PM
Group Moderator
The absolute best way is with a die grinder and a whizzer wheel like these:

http://toolweb.com/lmsfla/store.cfm?...partno=MMM7527
http://toolweb.com/lmsfla/store.cfm?...partno=MMM7526

Will put an absolute mirror finish on the gasket surfaces.

Old 01-09-08, 02:59 PM
Go to your local auto parts store. They should have the 3M discs. These discs are a scotch-brite material that go on your drill with the adatper. You should also be able to find a spray gasket remover there, too. Spray it on, let it set for about 10-15 mins and gasket will come right off with a scraper. May have to do it more than once depending on gasket thickness.

Old 01-10-08, 12:08 PM
Wow, thanks for the responses! That little 3M thing looks like just the trick!

I tried a wire brush on a dremel, didn't go over very well. Just polished the gasket. Lol.

Old 01-10-08, 03:03 PM
Group Moderator
Be real careful of which disks you use on which materials; some of the more abrasive ones will damage aluminum surfaces. The rubber-toothed ones work good on either steel or aluminum.

Old 01-10-08, 07:10 PM
DO NOT use any kind of a "Gasket Removing Wheel or a wire brush on a gasket surface. I know there will be lots of people that will argure with me, but think about it, any time a spinning abrasive brush or disc is used to remove a gasket, It also removes material from the host (head gasket surface,engine block,etc, etc) & makes a fine abrasive powder that can destroy bearings. Use a single sided razor blade in a proper holder & take your time & you won't have a problem!!! Stay away from any ""Quick to remove Gasket"" gimmics!!! Be Careful, Roger

Old 01-11-08, 06:06 AM
Group Moderator
I wouldn't agree to not use ANY such device, but you do have to be careful. Using a wire brush or wheel on an aluminum surface would be VERY bad because the steel wires are harder than the aluminum and will damage it. The rubber wheels that you use in a die grinder, on the other hand, will eat right through the old gasket material without damaging either steel or aluminum because they are made of a softer material.

For those who prefer to scrape, either a single edge blade as Roger suggests or the regular gasket scraper mattison mentioned, which can be easier to use than a single edge blade but which will sometimes be hard to get into tight spots.