Removing Asphalt Pitch from Engine

Old 01-09-08, 03:11 PM
Removing Asphalt Pitch from Engine

I have several 9hp Honda engines that were used on Commercial Roofing machines. In the process they got caked up with the asphalt pitch "dust" and it just got burnt onto the engine and in the fins on the head. I have chiseled the big stuff off but I cant chisel every little pebble off. I was told Gasoline would eat the stuff off but its too expensive. Is there another product that will soften/remove the caked on Asphalt? Engine degreasers do not work on this stuff. Here's a few images I took for a better idea of what I'm dealing with.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-08, 03:30 PM
What comes to mind to me is WD-40,or some automotive tar/paint remover at autozone,etc.

Old 01-09-08, 03:36 PM
Any solvent I can think of that would remove the stuff costs more than gasoline so you'd want one that's stronger (requires smaller quantity to do the job). I would start with acetone, available in most hardware stores.

Old 01-09-08, 08:08 PM
Acetone should work, altho you can buy 3 gals of gasoline or diesel fuel for the price of 1 gal acetone.
thanks,

Old 01-09-08, 08:13 PM
I've already used "Gunk Engine Brite gel" to get it to where it is right now. I've also used Simple Green's "Heavy Duty Degreaser/commercial cleaner" with no success. I was hoping/thinking (more hoping) that there is a super solvent out there I wasn't already thinking of. I don't think acetone would touch this stuff. Its like petrified almost. I'll find a small can to soak the cylinder head in gasoline and see if that does the trick. I don't think Diesel or Kerosene will do anything because Engine Brite Gel is basically Diesel with a kind of surfactant.. yes/no? What about lacquer thinner? That'll eat car paint off.. would it be worth trying?

Old 01-09-08, 09:04 PM
Acetone dissolves a wide range of compounds including very dense (hard) ones. Many people think that it's weak because it won't burn skin but yet it dissolves nail polish (and that's hard!) while much more corrosive chemicals won't. What you need to achieve is the proper chemical reaction so you may need to try a variety of mineral spirits: acetone, methyl hydrate, xylene (carb cleaner). Lacquer thinner is not known to react with carbon but what the heck, who knows. Not the safest solvent to use though, lacquer thinner fumes going kaboom are a not-remote-at-all possibility.

If these don't work you may have to resort to more serious ordnance: caustic based hard surface cleaners such as Easy Off.

Old 01-10-08, 04:54 PM
I already resorted to Bleche-White which is a corrosive tire cleaner. it worked to dissolve the oily gunk on the cyl. head but didnt do much to the hard crusty burnt-on stuff. I'll look into those chemicals you listed and see if one works. I might try easy-off too since I've got a can of that layin around. Thanks!

Old 01-11-08, 09:37 AM
I still think that gasoline would be a good choice cost wise, just be careful as it is flamable, as are some of the other chemicals mentioned. We don't want you working away in your shop and explode when the vapors hit the heater.

Search this Thread